Uniform scaling

Hello,

I have a short question:
Does anyone know how I add a wall thickness into this model? I was thinking of scale the model uniform but I also don’t know the command so that the whole model will be smaller.

Maybe someone can help me :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance.

Annabelle

you can offset using offset surface but that would cause probably havoc if used on the entire object looking at your model. any hints to where you want to add walls? uniform scaling is by using scale 3d or the gumball shift holding, left clicking and pulling one of the handles.

Hi Annabelle -
You could also try the Shell command but, depending on the model, that might fail. Post the 3dm file and we could take a look.
-wim

Thank you for your help. I will Post the file and maybe you can habe a look. :slight_smile:

Thanks Cone_holder.3dm (3.7 MB)

Hi Annabelle -

Thanks for that file. It’s not clear what the intention is, though. Are you after a hollow object (and, if so, why : )) or a “shelled” object? For the former, you could use the OffsetSrf command, for the latter, Shell with a wall thickness of, e.g., 5 seems to work when you select the bottom surface to be removed:

-wim

Hello Wim,

Thanks for your quick reply! Actually, I want to hollow it out. That is, where the rise is, it should only be the thickness of the wall on the back. So that as little material as possible is used. Sorry for the complicated description but I don’t know how else to explain it better.

Like an egg carton, for example.

Hi Annabelle -

An egg carton is shelled. That’s what I did in the picture that I posted. Did you try running the Shell command, setting the wall thickness to 5, and selecting the bottom surface?
-wim