Unexpected Texture Flipping in Raytraced - Anyone Else Experiencing This?

n43

Hello everyone,
I’ve noticed an odd issue when using Raytraced mode.

When rotating the view or zooming, it appears that the texture switches. I’ve attached a video for reference. As you can see, the texture is mirrored or duplicated, giving the impression that it’s switching (Z fight) or flipping UVs.

Please ignore the audio; I was watching Uncle Bob about clean code.

Interestingly, when the object is shown from the other side, as shown in this second video, it has the exact same texture. It’s as though the textures are switching in a mirrored or duplicated Z fight manner when the camera is rotated or viewed from different angles.

I’m currently using Rhino 7 (7.30.23163.13001, 2023-06-12). It feels like Rhino is constantly evolving, almost like it’s always in beta, which makes using LTS versions difficult. I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered this or if it’s a known bug?

Thanks

LINKS

similar: Blur Texture in Raytraced Mode - #13 by AlanMattano
SimilarBugReprt: RH-75561

The UVs

The debug file:

When zooming

The UV map

Here is the file, only for debug:
RaytracedTextureSwitching.3dm (1.0 MB)

Hello- once the view change has stopped does the raytraced image look as you expect?

-Pascal

Affirmative.

Yes, excellent point.
That can be what can distinguish this bug and file from the other bug and file, blurring texture.
Can be also triggered by the same bug and a second bug gives you different results.

In this screenshot example, it gets stacked (in the Rendered mode). and it does not look as expected.

In Rhino 7 when you are manipulating viewport or model with Raytraced active and you see the orange hud you don’t see Raytraced but an intermediate OpenGL variant. This has been the case since about day 1 in Rhino 6.

The debug file looks like this in Rhino 8 WIP

Thanks Nathan for working on this!
By the way, for Windows, bump mapping needs to be in OpenGL or DirectX?

To be honest I don’t know what format we are using.

1 Like

It is OpenGL
It is difficult to tell because some of the Rhino surfaces have a bad UV by default: