Unable to open Large .DWG file

I am trying to open a very large .dwg file in Rhino (1.4 GB) and my computer is running out of memory. The file opens no problem in AutoCAD, but Rhino seems to really struggle with opening it. Is there anything I can do to get this to work, or is my computer just not able to handle it?
Below is the results of the _SystemInfo command:

Rhino 6 SR13 2019-2-27 (Rhino 6, 6.13.19058.371, Git hash:master @ 17cd8b51accbe17dd04b48028f49d5e77a67f17b)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-02-27
License details: LAN Zoo Network Node

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: V-GK3THB2

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro K2200 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 3-16-2018 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 391.25

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel® HD Graphics 530 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 2-28-2018 (M-D-Y).

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-16-2018
Driver Version: 23.21.13.9125
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hello - my guess is that Rhino needs to interpret stuff from the dwg as it’s own type of object. Autocad may have efficient ways of representing its own object that Rhino needs to represent some other way.

-Pascal

Still seems odd to me, 32 gigs of RAM should be enough to open a file that size somehow…

I’ve been watching the command line and the task manager as this attempts to open. I will see the command line read “successfully read file” and that is when I start to see the memory spike in the task manager. I wonder if it is struggling with actually trying to visualize the file? the viewports are all black for the whole load time until the computer finally gives up and throws a memory error.

Would the curves being miles away from the origin effect opening? I’ve noticed autoCad users don’t concern themselves with that.

I wouldn’t think so, but I don’t know. I tend to agree with Mitch, it does seem a little unexpected to me, but we don’t know what else is using machine resources etc.

-Pascal

I managed to get the file to open by:

1. Creating a display mode that hides curves
  2. Opening a blank file and applying that display mode
  3. Importing the large file.

The file was able to open, but I ran into the memory wall again trying to save it after making some minor changes.

Not particularly helpful, but I did get the file open, so that’s progress!

1 Like

How much of your RAM was occupied by the Rhino session when the file was open? I have 128 GB on my machine and can open 2 GB files without a problem but not 5 GB files. So with 1/4 of the RAM you may see problems with files around 1.25 GB in size. Is there anyway you can add more RAM to your machine?

I’m not at my computer at the moment, but I think it was somewhere around 15 GB when the file was open.