Rhino 7 - Crashes when opening previously 'openable' large files

Hi, Please could someone help. When opening large files approx 399mb. Rhino crashes. This seems to have happen quite frequently since the latest service release.

Any help would be appreciated.

I’m running few projects around 600mb each and I don’t have crashing issues. It will be helpful if you can share more specific information so we can get to the bottom of the problem.

Hi, it fails to open, closes and the Rhino Error Report dialog box appears. I have re-installed Rhino 7 this morning, but same issue. A friend has managed to open it on their system.

What more info would you need to help me?

Rhino 7 SR20 2022-7-12 (Rhino 7, 7.20.22193.09001, Git hash:master @ 9b19bfdb8c343dd6fa8df3514068defd72273d6f)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-07-12
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19044 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: AMD RADEON R9 M395 (AMD) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 11-11-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.14761 Compatibility Profile Context 20.45.40.15 27.20.14540.15002
> Accelerated graphics device with 8 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 11-11-2021
Driver Version: 27.20.14540.15002
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.20.22193.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.20.22193.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.20.22193.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.20.22193.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.20.22193.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

I can open the file if ‘run as administrator’ - right-clicking on the desktop shortcut

Hi Ben -
I suppose you could try to update your GPU drivers as those are getting somewhat old.
Could you please disable V-Ray and see if that changes anything?
-wim

What release of Rhino are they running?

Having done so, if you save the file can you then reopen it without admin privileges?

Hi Jeremy,
He is using SR19 - He opened, renamed and sent it back. Unfortunately I had the same issues and can only open it if I run as administrator, which I have never had to do before SR20.

If it runs under the admin account then it runs so the issue probably isn’t with the Rhino program per se but with user privileges associated with the program or the file. Is your PC running in a corporate environment where someone IT sets rights or do you have full control of it yourself?

Also, did you reboot your PC after reinstalling Rhino? Did you install from a fresh download from McNeel?

In Windows Explorer, right-click on the troublesome .3dm file and open properties, then go to the security tab and check that you have the same permissions as administrators.

And on the details tab check that you are the file owner.

Hi Jeremy.
I am on my own system and have the same permissions.

Did you ever try to disable V-Ray?
If that doesn’t help, does going back to SR19 make a difference?
-wim

Another thing I noticed that sometimes turning on ransomware protection in windows defender blocks all user files from being accessed or written by processes that doesn’t have admin rights.

Hi, for reference, how would I roll it back to SR19?

Hi Ben -

You uninstall Rhino and then install SR19.
-wim

Hi Wim, Sorry, I should have been more specific. Where can I download an official copy of Rhino 7 SR19? - When I searched for this before asking the forum I had no luck finding a downloadable, official copy. Apologies if this is obvious on the McNeel website.

Hi Ben - there’s a link in my previous post in this thread.
-wim