Unable to export Rhino file to Sketchup

Hi, in desperate need of help here!
I did a 3D model of a house, to be sent out to renderers to render through SketchUp.
I exported the file to the following - DE, FBX, OBJ, 3DS. I tried exporting to SketchUp through rhino, but it crashed.
I have sent the other exports to many renderers, and none can open the files or export them to SketchUp.
Please help!

Hi @Melissa_Elbaz
What exactly goes wrong? Is it the actual export command failing or is it the importing in SU that goes wrong? Also, please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the full resulting text here. Could be a 3rd party plugin acting up or it could be something else.
HTH, Jakob

Hi Jakob, thanks for much for the quick reply!!
Basically when they try to import or export as skp file, it just uses up all the system memory (ram) and crashes. As for the system info command I will do this this evening when I am at my rhino computer!

Hi Melissa -

When you create a simple box in a new Rhino file and export that as skp, does the same thing happen? If not, this would be file-specific and we’d need to see the file.
-wim

Hi Jakob here is the system info:

Rhino 6 SR11 2018-10-17 (Rhino 6, 6.11.18290.16071, Git hash:master @ efd6990ad5873ee48c41acb5cbfbe97770a03e63)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-10-17
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.9Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-K176N1Q

GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.5.0 NVIDIA 382.05)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-1-2017
Driver Version: 22.21.13.8205
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.11.18290.16071
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.11.18290.16071
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.11.18290.16071
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.11.18290.16071
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi Wim - thanks for your help.
I created a new rhino file and created a simple 3d box. I was able to export this to a SketchUp file.
It must be my file, how can I know what is the problem?

Hi Melissa -

First off, you really should update to Rhino SR35!
Simply doing that might already solve this problem.

Apart from that, typically, when something in a file refuses to export, you start dividing the scene in two and export those halves. If one half doesn’t export, divide that subset in half again, and see which half doesn’t export. Keep doing this until you find the object that causes the problem. If several objects refuse to export, this process gets more tedious.
If all else fails, you can either post the 3dm file here or upload it to support: Rhino - Upload to Support
-wim

Hi Wim, thanks for the suggestion I’ll get on downloading the new rhino!
And thanks for your help I will start doing that dividing up the 3D and try exporting it that way.

Hi Wim, still not having any luck. I try exporting certain elements, some work (like just the flooring) and others crash the file and it closes on me.
I also tried to reduce mesh before exporting, that didn’t work either :confused:
I am also trying to upload the file here and it says it is too large and the max in 20MB, but the file is smaller then 20MB…

Hi Melissa -

Perhaps you can try zipping it?
-wim

upload some screen shots, sometimes we can see from your scene or model what might be going on. Usually import into SU is hampered by the actual entities, i’m suspecting your file is actually larger than you think but who knows at this point. OR there is something else object related, some kind of hidden geo that is super complex but possibly hidden or tiny.

In your model, show all, unhide all and unlock all. Do you have nested blocks?
Make sure you exporting ONLY what you want your crew to deal with/render. Any extra stuff could be clogging up the pipeline.

Hi Vim, i did try zipping it, and it still says it is too large.
I have been re-modeling items that are meshes into objects …and was able to export the ground floor into sketchup. I am working floor by floor

Here are a couple screenshots

OK that gives us a clue. Where were the original shapes in the scene generated? I’m assuming not in Rhino?
If any of the shapes have native nurbs components those should be remeshed cleaner with settings appropriate for your render scenes. ie: you want no mesh edges shorter than 1/8" inch. It looks like maybe those circular balcony railing cutouts are too dense.

sounds like you are solving your issue with rebuilding cleaner which is pretty much the defacto way at the end of the day, will just help keep your rendering and file mgmnt pipeline clean and smooth to the end.

Hi, thanks for your help.
Yes, I am cleaning things up a bit, it seems to be helping. I have already redone the balcony railing blocks which helped a lot as well.
I’m using the reduce mesh command, but is there another command I can use that would be easier or faster?
Thanks

depending on the quality and density sometimes its faster and easier to just remodel in rhino nurbs and then mesh at the appropriate settings.
Sadly there is no ‘easy’ button for this type of thing unless you can sacrifice a ton of quality/visual quality.
You can try quadremesh to see what that does, with different settings.
Shrinkwrap in v8 is amazing for creating watertight less complex meshes.
But as always it depends on so many factors, you’ll need to play and learn what you need.