Unable save UI customization in Rhino 6 trial

Rhino version: 6 SR23

I’ve modified my workspace - relocated panels, setup toolbars, etc. however, the UI is reset after closing and reopening Rhino each time (1 instance of Rhino open and closed). Is this a function of the trial version (I have a licensed version of Rhino 5 at work, and any modifications described above are automatically saved when I close Rhino and are reinstated when opening Rhino afterwards). Thanks for any help.

Hello - I would expect that to work as in V5 - are you running as a user with Administrator privileges?

Does this file exist-
“C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\settings\settings-Scheme__Default.xml”

?

-Pascal

My user account is an administrator and I do have the settings-Scheme_Default.xml at the specified location.

Update.
I just noticed that some modifications are saved but not all. For example, the toolbars that I opened and located are opened each time, however, while these toolbars are displayed each time I open Rhino, they are not located where I specified them. The settings-scheme_default.xml file is being written to with each closing, so it doesn’t seem to be an issue with access to the file to write the changed settings.

Hello - please try this, assuming you typically run Rhino maximized on your monitor:

• Restore (‘un-maximize’) Rhino and adjust its size by hand to be as nearly maximized as possible.
  • Arrange your stuff.
  • Maximize Rhino

Close and reopen - any better?

-Pascal

You assumed correct! I tried the steps specified, but no difference - UI is mostly reset.

Not sure what happened, but this morning Rhino UI open to the last saved settings that I had yesterday when I saved. However, while the UI saved settings is working as it should, there is an unexplained lag in the UI. Every action, whether it’s switching view ports, clicking icons, accessing menues, lags several seconds after each mouse click. The only thing I can think of is to uninstall and reinstall again. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Hello-

Please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here.

-Pascal

Hi. Thanks for the update. New update for you; about an hour ago, the lag has stopped and everything seems to be working normally. See below for system info.

Rhino 6 SR24 2020-3-19 (Rhino 6, 6.24.20079.23341, Git hash:master @ 064283610b834170e52117f2656605b5b25d65c0)
License type: Evaluation, build 2020-03-19
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2020-06-15

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: SERENITY

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Radeon RX 580 Series (AMD) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 1-13-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.13586 Compatibility Profile Context 20.1.2 26.20.15011.10003

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 1-13-2020
Driver Version: 26.20.15011.10003
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.24.20079.23341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.24.20079.23341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.24.20079.23341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.24.20079.23341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”

Hello - please try disabling VRay in Options > Plug-ins page, and then close and restart Rhino. Does that make any difference?

-Pascal

No change. But, as I mentioned before your post today, there was some unexplained improvement to the UI saving settings today - the tool panels and tool bars settings are mostly being retained - the only thing that’s not quite correct is that the toolbar positions are shifting each time Rhino is opened.

Can you try the routine I outlined a few posts up again, now that things are maybe a little better-behaved?

-Pascal

Tried - no difference. Given that the only issue left is the toolbars being re-positioned, I’ll maybe learn to live with it for the rest of the trial period - at that point hopefully I’ll be back at our office and can go back to Rhino 5. Thanks for your help!