Trick for changing colors for read/unread topics (Firefox only)

Continuing the discussion from Topic header colors (blue/gray):

I find the color difference between read and unread topics way too subtle, so I figured out a way to apply a different color in Firefox using a custom css file.

You need to go to your Firefox profile folder, located in

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXXX\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{random chars}.default\chrome\ on Windows

and

/Users/{user_name}/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/{random chars}.default/chrome on OSX.

If there is no chrome folder you need to create one.

Then, create a new text file named userContent.css containing the following code:

@-moz-document url-prefix(http://discourse.mcneel.com/) { table td.main-link.clearfix a.title {background:#fff;} table td.main-link.clearfix a.title:visited {background:#dedede;} }

Then close and restart Firefox. All the visited topics will be marked with a very light grey background - it seems like the trick didn’t work with the font colors.

The result is something like:

As some users confirmed in the linked topic, this difference is currently based on the browser history, so this trick works only when you are connecting using the same browser.

For the complete instructions for customizing the websites’ appearance using CSS in Firefox you check this link or make a Google search.

I hope this is useful to someone.

Marco