The pool of my dreams - GH curve subdivision

Hi all,
I am writing a GH script for drawing pools edges. At first I tought it would have been a simple curve subdivision excercise, but, when encountering some industrial fabrication requirements, the task is far from being simple.
The main issue is keeping intact the corner tiles, so that they will always have the longest lenght possible, to do so, I divided between convex and concave corners, however, I couldn’t find the way to obtain what I want, thit is the nearest I came to the goal.

This is the result I would like to achieve:

Every type of tile has the same dimensions, and there are the fewest possible cut tiles.

Is there any suggestion?

PS: except from one ARMy Ant component, I am trying to use only vanilla.

Swimmingpool borders automation_HELP.gh (78.4 KB)

I don’t have time right now to mock up an example but you should be able to ‘shatter’ the imput curves, shrink them by a set length at each end (by a full tile) and then fill the remaining space however you wish (even tile divisions, or as few as possible cuts).

Hey Patt,
than you for the answer, but I am not sure that I am getting what you mean…
How would this method work with corner tiles?

with convex and concave arcs was challenging but this is the idea, offset brings me some seam problems. Then you could easily deal with the gaps.

Swimmingpool borders automation_v2.gh (34.5 KB)

2 Likes

Hi Thomas,
thanks for the reply!
After a couple of years I digged the project out of the grave :sweat_smile: unfortunately it was abandoned…

your code is interesting and probably way simpler than what I came up with, which definitely needs some smoothing around the edges.
I noticed your code doesn’t really work with spline, but it seems way better in dealing with corners and central pieces.

I am attaching my old version, so please tell me what do you think!

Swimmingpool borders automation_REV_5wip_blog.gh (99.2 KB)

I noticed this when I already replied, :thinking: weird I saw as a recent topic I couldn’t test your file but I see you arc tiles measurements exceed the tile constraint.

I based with the tile constraint for both arcs and lines and the logic that corners have priority and the middle absorbs the remains.
Of course in terms of material optimization rotation alignment for cuttings plays an important role.

Also this topic about bricks is awesome with @maje90 and @laurent_delrieu.