THE HOW MANY BUTTONS has your MOUSE got POLL

recent talks about a middle mouse button issue uncovered an interesting analytic question
which hopefully may not just interest my personal idea but might also be interesting for others
and a future use of rhino.

i hope to get a few votes together :slight_smile: so this can work as an informal orientation
for who ever reads it.

so here it comes --> what kind of mouse do you prefer?

• i am using a 3 or more button mouse
  • i am using a 2 button mouse ( is there still one?)
  • i am using a 1 button mouse ( old mac pros :wink: )
  • i am using a mouse with no buttons (new mac pros :wink: )
  • i dont use a mouse (macbook pro pros :wink: )

0 voters

I donā€™t think a mouse with say a trackball and or 4+ buttons should be in the same category as a traditional 3-button mouse, aka 2-button + track wheel. (3 or more) All my mice are 2button with a wheel.

Is the wheel a third button? If so, my answer needs to be changed.

I count the wheel as one, so left & right + wheel to me is a 3 button mouse. But I could be wrong, lol.

i also need to vote ā€˜i donā€™t use a mouseā€™.

i use a mouse (6-button) on the desktop and trackpad on the laptopā€¦ iā€™m fine with eitherā€¦ i have similar macros set to either buttons or gestures.

Fair enough. Iā€™m now a 3 button mouse man.

I use a 4-button Pen Pad (Wacom) for everything, including Rhino. How does that count?

1 Like

if its just a wheel with scrolling only i would rather place it as a 2 button mouse
there are apps which let you probably change even this behavior to imitate buttons
in that case you would be in the 3 or more button mouse category

i can see how making a new category for more then 3 buttons would make sense
instead of putting it all into 3 or more, but i cant change the poll anymore
so for now we gotta deal with what we have.

generally its about how many buttons one addresses. if its now a pen, pad, mouse or even eye tracker
or similar if there are such freakos at all :smiley: wouldnā€™t make much of a difference here.
and if you have several devices i would say vote for the one you use the most
or most preferred.

maybe if @dan is not too busy hacking the keys he may want to join either, since he was the core
of this idea :smile_cat: for now i must say i am pretty save with my 3 button mouse but it all can change still
when the no mouse pros show up finally :wink: at least we have one for now already!!!

thanks for voting :clap:

I use a Logitech G700, with the 3 main extra buttons programmed for:
_move
_scale1d
_rotate

Itā€™s so much easier and quicker than reaching for the keyboard.
I supposed you can you it for gaming, too.

Funny, I was just reading this article ā€œCAD with a Stylusā€, sounds interesting. I have an old Wacom, maybe I should try it.

Anybody using a 3D Connexion product with a Mac?

i have the laptop version of the 3d connexion but it did not work out well enough for me.
but those are also one of those devices which take some time to get used to

talking about buttons, there are some which may think the more the merrier but it can also be pushed
to the absolute redicule or at least in our personal understanding of it.

https://hardforum.com/proxy/CKbSwA7n6MEEGXlZYYwnGoSz%2F9SEcFJmA%2BDC39AH5oRA5LzZjZ4CAeOGkUMf0LI37VC8tMB2muL2fGZmLg%3D%3D/image.png

can that be useful to work faster or is it rather bothersome and anti ergonomic?

and is there maybe something like a sweet spot like a 3 button mouse?
or is it just that we are too lazy and get used to something too quickly?

to contrast the former apple philosophy which subsequently smoothed
its way from a one mouse button with ctrl click option to a hidden 2 mouse button
and to a trackpad and magic mouse and magic trackpad with multiple gestures.

as many of you sure have seen already technology to transmit thoughts (commands)
over to the commputer is out there maybe still experimental but with the potential
to be used maybe one day not far from now.

is that something which can have a future?

it may cause a few grooves thinking about itā€¦ but the concept mouse has been on the table
for a long time already and things sure take a loong time till they get a function also in our understanding
how to work the tools, so maybe its time to open up to rethink the concept of how we use our hands?

personally i dont know if i would want to connect my brain to the computer like that,
even though going to bed with our technology like mobile phones and watches can be seen
on a regular bases all over the world, making technology a sort of intim part of ourselves,
melting this boarder between nature and human made amendments further together
by every new product arising on our technoluscious horizon.

some may be horrified by the though of it and rather stick with the mouse or something similar
while others would welcome even faster advances, not saying any of each is worse or better
but thinking about the advantages of each device and understanding is an important
responsibility to ones and each body i think and believe for now.

I went through the article, it more or less confirms my reasons for working on a tablet. I have an older version of the Wacom tablet, the middle sized ā€˜Pen&Touch ā€œFunā€ā€™ iirc. I tested the Intuos as a replacement, but decided it brought me nothing extra I needed. I do use the buttons on the side a lot (with my left hand), I programmed them for LMB, cmd, shift and MMB (for the pop-up menu). Especially using the button for accurately placing a point is helpful, if I use the stylus-tip it tends to slip when I push it to click.

Max.

Glad to hear that it works for you, I may try my old Wacom, pre bamboo I believe.

I think he said in the article that is why he got a felt tip for his stylus to replace the original hard-plastic one.

Ā«Randy

My words ā€œpush to clickā€ are not a proper description. You hover the stylus tip over the tablet to move the cursor, and just touch the surface to click. But even that seems to move the insertion point.

Max.

1 Like

That sounds pretty handy. I have 6 programmable buttons on my mouse but havenā€™t set them up for Rhino yet. Does anyone else have settings theyā€™d like to share?

I store my profiles on the mouse, so I can use it on my notebook and my desktop. This is where I have my placement. The 3 tooth like buttons on these mice are unmistakable.

As for the other buttons, I think I might make one setpt, and perhaps another dragline, which is a custom script that I believe that @Pascal made for me, which I use every time I use Rhino3D (Thank you.) And perhaps one for mirror.

The wheel on these mice has two mode, but they feel klunky anyway. You can set the DPI for each mode, and they can run wireless or wired. The graphics and coating are dumb looking. I liked the G700 better than the G700. Oddly, these mice are packed with electronics.

I wish they had replaceable rechargeable lithium, so they would be a tad lighter.

I hear you, I had this issue before. Iā€™ve only been using a tablet for around a year but had a few tips from a colleague whoā€™s been using one forever.

I use the hover click option as the click and & tap send the cursor everywhere.

Iā€™m still 40/60 and use the mouse more for CAD but Iā€™m slowly moving over.

Andy

Roccat Tyon ftwā€¦ 14 physical buttons + easy shift duplication = 32 programmable buttons.

my main targeting system is at least three years the Wacom Pen & Touch, combined with the 3D mouse Connexion Space Mouse Pro.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got 1 button.