Hi @Gijs
I uploaded to support just one mesh from the file I’m having issues with in

Steps to replicate the repeated crash:
Select only the layer Main opal texture, from the file main opal only
Export selected.
Uncheck plugin data,
Check export textures
Rhino crash consistently .

• note I using Bella for the rendering effort. but texturing is done in rhino only

I don’t know why the file is so large now…? maybe that is where the problems hide?
But it’s 250mb so I can’t upload it here to the forum.

Related but also an independent texturing issues:
Texturing ,at lease on Mac [R8.2] feels so unwell … or I’m just having no success figuring it out.

1. when trying to adjust mapping [the ones that are not willing to show the widget. in there scrolling is stuck so part of the panel is unaccessible without closing other panels .

2. in contrast to numerous needless tooltips in other places [layer panel is the most problematic]. there are no tooltips for the texture buttons, and [unpleasant looking as they are] I’m unable to guess from the tool button what each is meant to do… Please kindly add tool tips. [I used the help file to decipher ]

3. trying to surface map… I get only black… and can’t figure it out. [mapping widget won’t show]

4. Custom mapping, the texture is distorted and I can’t find the way to set is right…

5. Planer tiles it and I can’t un-tile it… [again mapping widget won’t show]

6. trying to use the obscure uv editor… I don’t get anywhere . But it strangely add to the layer panel all the unwanted column the I never use and were closed, I again close them and the uv editor open them all … is there a reasons to this?

I had the texture on this mesh, but I removed it as it was grainy… and now I can get it back on… [maybe it’s because it was 5 hours past bed time]

Can you please, when you have time, show me how to map this texture to the mesh [it should be simple when one understand how to rhino it] it just a simple cab.

thanks a lot
Akash

I am investigating this. The file is large because it has a saved .exr
Is this texture being used in the material or is it used as environment texture?
Importing the file into a new file works.
The 250 mb file crashes Rhino here upon opening.

I would extract the flat backface, then unwrap the opal, and make the texture in photoshop so that it has no transparency, remove the lighter/ darker areas, attached is a quick and dirty of what I mean:

main opal.3dm (2.9 MB)

Thank you

the Exr must be the environment I although it’s not such a big Exr… but maybe there are a few stuck in there from my experimenting with different ones …?

This image is a photo of the actual gem opal, so I have the original image, I removed the background in PS … and was hopping to be able to use the whole stone, not to crop a rectangle out of it [and by doing that loosing about 50% of the opal patterns and causing the texture to stretch .
[I only need it to go a little bit over the sides [as the setting anyways cover that area]

So to try and sharpen my Q.

1. is it possible to use the whole oval of the picture ? or a rectangle has to be cropped and the rest discarded ?

2. I need to remove the fact back, ? I only added it as I thought the mapping needs a closed mesh, there is a separate slice for the bottom anyways in order to give the back a different texture.

3). I had not luck making any progress with UV unwrap in rhino… I’ll try to find some tutorial for that… or perhaps just do it in Blender .

Have you found out why that file crash rhino?

thanks a lot
Akash

Trying to import your file into my main file + changing the texture to the one you used.
I get this in Bella

I did not crop it, I painted in the areas around it, this way mapping becomes easier

Remove the mapping from the stone, and (for now) extract the flat faces from the mesh, then Unwrap, and UV editing should be straightforward

I don’t know why the back flat mesh needs to be extracted, this could be a bug
I’m not sure why the file crashes
RH-78566 File crashes on opening

What’s the xform1 doing? I suspect that is overriding the texture coordinates of the unwrap

not sure… it give some adjustments, I was told to use it by the Bella gurus,

Got the mapping ok [with the back removed. thanks a lot

I’m still far from getting good opal here… it looks grainy in mat… But I guess these are question to work out in the Bella forum, [I was shown how to do it much better on another stone, but can’t replicate it to this one.

here is a quick test just making sure it works correctly (rhino material on left, bella uber on right)

main-opal-2.3dm (7.3 MB)

the UVs will not be affected by rgb xform, so my first guess would be that in your file texture > mapping section (just below where we can see in your screenshot), the Projection is set to Cubic or Planar instead of Surface (which means to use the UVs)

otherwise the UVs on the geometry in the main file are just not suitable for the texture, and I would check them by putting a simple checker texture material on the geometry, and checking how things are set up in Object Properties > Texture Mapping

Thank you @jdhill

I also tried to use your emitter [from a previous help you gave me with opals]
It makes little difference with your current suggested implementation …

I’m wondering if there can be a way to enhance the texture image…? as it is still a little grainy and there for feels mat [lack of polish].
Do you think it would help ? If I manage to make the texture bigger?

higher resolution texture could not hurt

for more polish, in the uber, you might reduce specular > roughness slightly, and increase specular → ior slightly

then maybe play with uber > subsurface > radius/scale/anisotropy to control how the light is allowed to enter the opal, and how it scatters back out

thanks
I’ll try.

I see that I have the original .RAW image. so perhaps it would be possible to make it larger.

• do you think if I make an .exr can it be used as texture? I think the texture file node does not accept exr…

the file texture node will accept exr

as far as getting a larger image, if the .raw is not larger, I have heard of image upsizing tools, though I am not specifically familiar with any

I also heard of AI tools, but it’s not something I tried or know how to do.

For now I sized it 200% in PS and used the clone tool to fill the whole rectangle… Not a great job, but maybe ok for testing.
But I didn’t find a way to export it as .EXR… Do you know how to?

sorry but I do not, I have never had photoshop

Found this site that does it ,not sure if it is good quality conversion… but I’ll try it in the texture file slots

the only reason to use exr is if the original image has high dynamic range

if it does not, or if you save to png (or other non-hdr formats) and then convert → exr, there will be no benefit

thanks, I did it from the original PSD/RAW.

It gets a more realistic image now, but still not the polish I hoped for.
[I tried playing with the setting you suggested earlier, it hard to set best combination, as it takes some 6 minutes to see the change every time [on my machine]

it has a cloudy white look, and I am not sure where that is coming from

if you upload a version with everything deleted except the opal and the plane, and the environment image, I can take a look

the reduced colors comes from me pretty much zeroing the Zform controls
the colors no are correct to the actual stones. [most Opals you’d see online had had their colors enhanced a lot .]

[the minimized file is too large to add here.]