Text tool for Rhino 6 not working

@Sascha_Holland-Kuhn -

Do you get anything when you run the following Python script?
(save the .py file it to your desktop, type RunPythonScript, browse to the file and OK)

AddTextTest.py (103 Bytes)

0 Likes

Cannot generate any text. That’s all.

0 Likes

I did install latest SR3 today. Rhino 6 SR3 2018-3-13

There is no ‘change’ after right clicking

0 Likes

Yep. It says ‚Hello world‘

0 Likes

I can modify and do everything but still not generate a text

0 Likes

OK, that’s an indication that the actual core command to generate text is working. Therefore, I suspect it’s an interface problem and as I said before, maybe a localization issue… What language is your OS and what language(s) do you have installed with Rhino?

0 Likes

(Abraham Wechter) #31

First time I opened Text in Rhino6 I also could not figure out how to input anything-I had to drag the bottom of the mini window open from the bottom to expose the empty field for inputting new text. It was completely closed and hidden until I did this but actually the text tool works great.

0 Likes

Both german.

0 Likes

But in your case Rhino was not waiting for you to enter a new command?

0 Likes

OK. Do you also have English in the dropdown in Optionen>Darstellung? If so, can you try switching to English, close Rhino and re-open (UI should now be in English) and try running Text or -Text again?

If English isn’t already installed, and you are willing to try, you can close Rhino, re-run the SR3 installer, click the gear wheel at the lower right and check English as well as German and let it install (it will just install the language pack)…

0 Likes

(Abraham Wechter) #35

When I started Rhino6 the first time and clicked on the Text tool it opened a window that let me modify text but there was no place to enter new text. I dragged the bottom of the window down and this exposed the field I could type new text into. Maybe this is not the problem you have, sorry if I misunderstand.

0 Likes

Apparently he is not able to create text even with -_Text, which should bypass the dialog and just allow you to type the text at the command line, pick an insertion point onscreen and enter (no dialog).

0 Likes

No worry. Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

0 Likes

OK. Now I installed english and rerun Rhino but still didn’t change. Kind of annoying. I uninstalled Rhino now, restarted the computer reinstalled Rhino both languages. No idea what else to do.

Sorry and many thanks for your effort until here.

0 Likes

Yep, I’m out of things to try here… :confounded: Will need bigger brains than mine to figure it out obviously…

0 Likes

Thank you anyway. Maybe in one of the sleepless nights you will get the brilliant idea and hopefully you remember me then.

0 Likes

(Alain Cormier) #41

This is very strange indeed.

So when you type the Text command you don’t get a dialog but are returned to the Command: prompt as if nothing happened?

If you type _-Text do you get this?
_-Text

And now if you press the Enter key after typing SomeText do you get a Pick point: prompt?

Alain

0 Likes

Exactley like that. I have no clue why. Never happened to me in any other previous version of Rhino.

I still have installed Rhino 5 but I doubt that this might cause the problem.

0 Likes

(Pascal Golay) #43

Hi Sascha - does TextObject work?

-Pascal

0 Likes

(Alain Cormier) #44

So the _-Text command is working, i.e., at the Pick point: prompt if you click in the viewport a SomeText text annotation is created?

0 Likes