Testing new v8 stuff

I built this shoe model (needs some more detailing to be “done” but you get the idea) to test some subd stuff in v8, and @BrianJ jumped in and used it to test the new uv stuff… v8 is looking good folks… grab the wip and beat on it a bit so you can let us know what you think!

new uv tools, subd soft creases, and more!

download v8 wip here- Welcome to Serengeti

21 Likes

Looking GOOD Kyle, did you have a video coming on your work flow?

I’ve been designing kiteboard binding systems (shoes to connect the rider to the board) in Tsplines and now SubD for maybe a decade. I cant imagine the work flow for this type of object without SubD.

More recently I started using Grasshopper to allow parameterization of grip, textures and logos - the combo of SubD and Grasshopper being a complete game changer for iteration over designs.

Image 552

5 Likes

Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!

no video on this shoe… I was just bashing and testing stuff like the new subdcrease command that allows you to variably weight an edge and make it sharper without adding more edges.

Was just trying to break it and was unsuccessful. Kudos to @dalelear for his work in this area.

I started with a simpler idea and it kinda escalated into something a bit ridiculous and over the top … Was a fun and personally challenging project as I have not done any footwear before.

(I’m sure there are some real footwear designers seeing this muttering to themselves “yeah… and you still haven’t”) :crazy_face:

The thing that struck me it as I kept thinking “ok, this’ll never work…” It just did, so I was able to keep going further and further with a crazier and crazier design. And that left me feeling pretty good about the tools.

Is there more work to do? I sure hope so…I’m having too much fun to stop now…

3 Likes