Test version crashes - is it normal? i intend to buy rhino

hi rhino forum :slight_smile:

i am a german goldsmith and intend to buy rhino and rhinogold. after cleanly installing both the program crashes and stops the whole computer. after this it is not possible to shutdown anything. switching off is the only solution.
I hope someone out there could help me to solve this. i can promise, i installed the whole system perfectly.

i run a windows 7 machine 64bit with 16GB RAM… this is more than good enough. isn’t it?

i am deeply disappointed and would be very happy if somebody could help me.

thanx in advance

Clearly it should not be doing this. We have lots of users of Rhino and RhinoGold that have no problems.

Can you start Rhino in Safe mode ?
(Start>All Programs>Rhinoceros 5.0> Rhinoceros 5.0 (64bit) in Safe mode)

I also might try uninstalling all, then installing just Rhino to see if that runs by itself.

–Mitch

hi mitch :slight_smile:

thanks for the fast answer. i tried all suggestions before i posted my item.
the save mode does not contain the rendered prewiev. so i did not try this. but otherwise, what sholud it help if i kney that the “normal” rhino and rh-gold is not running but the save version?
i also generated a new admin user on windows without any other programs AND tried different languages (ger and en). even there it was the same behaviour. freezing screen.

it is so frustrating :frowning:

this is my system in the system report: (sorry for german language)

Komponente Details Teilbewertung Gesamtbewertung
Prozessor AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Processor 7,4
Ergibt sich aus
der niedrigsten
Teilbewertung
Arbeitsspeicher
(RAM) 16,0 GB 7,4
Grafik AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 7,9
Grafik (Spiele) 5115 MB insgesamt verfĂĽgbarer Grafikspeicher 7,9
Primäre Festplatte 10GB frei (112GB gesamt) 6,8
Windows 7 Professional
System
Hersteller To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Modell To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Gesamter Systemspeicher 16,0 GB RAM
Systemtyp 64 Bit-Betriebssystem
Anzahl der Prozessorkerne 6
Speicher
Gesamtgröße der Festplatte(n) 2673 GB
Datenträgerpartition (C:) 10 GB frei (112 GB gesamt)
Datenträgerpartition (D:) 364 GB frei (487 GB gesamt)
Datenträgerpartition (E:) 132 GB frei (233 GB gesamt)
Medienlaufwerk (F:) CD/DVD
Datenträgerpartition (J:) 309 GB frei (444 GB gesamt)
Datenträgerpartition (K:) 38 GB frei (444 GB gesamt)
Datenträgerpartition (M:) 273 GB frei (487 GB gesamt)
Datenträgerpartition (N:) 387 GB frei (466 GB gesamt)
Grafik
Grafikkartentyp AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
Insgesamt verfĂĽgbarer Grafikspeicher 5115 MB
Dedizierter Grafikspeicher 2048 MB
Dedizierter Systemarbeitsspeicher 0 MB
Gemeinsam genutzter Systemspeicher 3067 MB
Grafikkarten-Treiberversion 8.801.0.0
Auflösung des primären Monitors 1680x1050
Auflösung des sekundären Monitors 1280x800
DirectX-Version DirectX 10
Netzwerk
Leistungsinformationen und -tools Seite 1 von 2
file:///C:/Users/“user”/AppData/Local/Temp/PrintPreview.hta 12.07.2013
Netzwerkadapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Netzwerkadapter TAP-Win32 Adapter V9
Netzwerkadapter TAP-Win32 Adapter V9
Notizen
Die Gaminggrafikbewertung basiert auf dem primären Grafikadapter. Wenn dieses System miteinander
verbundene oder mehrere Grafikadapter aufweist, können für einige

Hello- I guess the first thing to try is the standard advice to update video drivers to the latest if you have not done so - it will at least eliminate that as a factor.

-Pascal

hi pascal,

if you meant the driver of the graphic card… i checked it. it is the newest version…
is the driver of the graphic card (so we call it in german) the same as the video driver? i presume yes.

thank you for the hint!

Hi, yes the graphics card driver - it seems like that is all correct then… although, even if new, it is not impossible that reinstalling the driver will help- I’ve seen it before. The symptoms seem to me to be graphics related as a first guess. Can you please also try this- assuming Rhino opens at all- go to Options > Plug-ins page and disable the Rhino Gold plug-in, then restart Rhino. Does it behave itself better? If so we can look at Rhino Gold and get in touch with their tech support as well.

-Pascal

hi pascal,

windows said my driver was the newest. allthough i downloaded it once more and installed the driver from the manufacturer’s page… and welll… WOW i think it worked :slight_smile:

i started ONLY rhino gold english version. it runs as far as i can tell NOW. your reccommendation was great. i hope my first trial was not an exception :slight_smile: … i let you know if the was something bad in the coming days. i hope there won’t.

windows told me wrong… we solved it, i think :slight_smile:
it is going to make me feel happy again!

thanx a LOT!!!

in the future i will post my results on

www dot jis-unikate dot de

in “videos”

greets from cold germany
lainel

OK, great, thanks for following up!

-Pascal

Hello,

I have the same problem with my test version of Rhino. I’m using Rhino for educational purposes (I’m studying Architecture) and not even the Safe mode is working.

At the beginning everything is working ok, but when I try to mod more complex models in Rhino, the Test Version crashes and with it my complete system.

I even uninstalled Rhino and installed it completely new but it didn’t solve the problem.

If anyone can help, please write back! Thank you so much…

Hi @viljazach
The first thing you should do is to type the command Systeminfo in Rhino and copy/paste the result in a post here. That might give an idea as to what goes wrong.
HTH, Jakob

Dear Jakob,

thank you: I have the following infos when I type in Systeminfo:

Rhino 6 SR23 2020-2-24 (Rhino 6, 6.23.20055.13111, Git hash:master @ 8106edaa648ba209a8fc587f0f7fcccbaac09169)
License type: Evaluation, Build 2020-02-24
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2020-06-04

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® HD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 11-18-2018 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 8-13-2018 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 399.01

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: On
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Unknown
Render version: (null)
Shading Language: (null)
Driver Date: 8-13-2018
Driver Version: 24.21.13.9901
Maximum Texture size: n/a
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: n/a
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.23.20055.13111

Hi @viljazach -
This part:

Vendor Name: Unknown
Render version: (null)
Shading Language: (null)

shows that the display drivers on your system are not installed correctly. Please open the Notifications panel in Rhino and follow the links for the driver update recommendations. There should be one for the Intel HD Graphics 630 and one for the GeForce GTX 1050.
-wim

Also, to follow up Wim’s point about neweer drivers, you may want to clean install - remove the old drivers completely, then install new ones for both.

-Pascal

thank you for the tips.

I did a driver update for my graphic devices but when I open Notifications it still shows me this:

Sometimes the notifications panel gives spurious warnings. Can you run SystemInfo again and post the results again? That will show the real driver dates.

I would recommend to download a program called “Driver Booster 7 Free” and run it. It will automatically find the necessary drivers for your machine and will offer you to download and install them with a single mouse click.
https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Also, you may want to download another program by the same software developer called “Advanced SystemCare 13 Free”. It will clean up your system so that it will get rid of the unnecessary stuff that makes your system run slowly. It also has a “Turbo boost” mode (the 2nd tab on the program’s window) that allows you to additionally boost the performance of your machine by stopping unnecessary processes. Usually the “Game mode” releases about 300-500 MB of system RAM. On top of that, it has a “Deep optimization” setting that further makes your system work faster.
https://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarefree.php

Once a week you may do a scan with “Advanced SystemCare 13 Free” with only the following settings turned on: Registry clean, Privacy sweep, and Junk file clean.

This can potentially lead to problems with Rhino (and oher software). You should be very careful when using registry cleaners like that and ccleaner. If you decide to use that make a backup copy of your very first registry before even starting a cleaner.

If you are running a business I’d be very hesitant to run this. Instead I’d turn people to more paranoid usage of internet (I have for instance NoScript + uBlock origin installed in my FireFox, having only a few sites trusted, the rest blocked by default for loading javascript and other interactive elements - facebook, advertisement, tracking companies - all blocked), including not trusting links sent in e-mails and even forum posts.

I had no problems at all with using the default settings of Advanced SystemCare since its release on the market (many years ago its original name was Advanced Windows care). Basically I let the program to choose what to do and it does it with zero issues, including while running Rhino 6 Evaluation. It performs flawlessly.

As for Firefox, along with uBlock Origin I also recommend Facebook container to avoid Facebook tracking while you browse across other websites. Also, Enhancer for YouTube has a great setting for a complete removal of the ads while watching YouTube videos. :slight_smile:

I just do this :wink: