Tensile using Kangaroo need help

tensile grasshopper need help.3dm (522.0 KB)
tensile grasshopper need help.gh (12.9 KB)

Hi everyone,
I’m new for grasshopper and kangaroo. I’m working on the script by using Kangaroo to create the tensile like the attached photo. however, even I tried so many times, the surface still does not attach to the point that I want. I create the curve mesh and all the points (they can adjust and move to the target points later). Anyone has any idea that can help me solve the problem. I really appreciate. Thank you.

1 Like

Are you by accident familiar with C#? If so I have tons of membrane stuff (but not a single one is carried over via components [either GH or K2 ones]). That said the membrane is the 1% of the whole puzzle (irrelevant anyway in real-life since the constructor [say: BirdAir] does in fact the thing). All what matters is the detailing/aesthetics of the components.

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Thank for your reply. To be honest, I do not have knowledge for C#. My model just a tensile with structure holding it. it could be a simple massing model. I believe your work must be more complicated and higher level than what I want to do. :slight_smile: and they are look really awesome.

Indeed this stuff is written for real-life things (where GH contributes about 1%, the rest are CATIA/AECOSim driven stuff). But membranes are NOT things that you do with some “half” approach: either walk the walk fully or do some other thing.

Anyway some guidelines:

1. ALWAYS start from a flat stuff: the membrane mesh, that is. Let K2 do the work, not you. Plus avoid patch at any cost. The cleaner and simpler the mesh the faster K2 does the job. If the whole relax job is not interactive (say: 200 to 300 milliseconds max) … why bother doing it?
  2. ALWAYS take care of a by the book anchoring policy (masts, ground cables et al).
  3. ALWAYS separate forces applied in the clothed mesh edges with the ones related with the naked ones. See the 2nd image above (the one with the anchoring plate) to understand the reason.

BEFORE attempting anything have some words with some friend of yours who has done membranes in real-life .

NOTE: In real life the topology of the node is critical: if the anchoring plate is too wide and in order to avoid the obvious we do hinged anchoring plates. This means that you need to know the angles on a per node basis. This “little” detail can yield good looking membranes or very ugly ones.

NOTE: In real-life we vary the mast/cables pos/height interactively. GH can’t do that with components but it can via code (trading volatile with persistent data per execultion cycle). Without that … how you can design anything? You tell me.