Surfaces warp when joined

Hi,

when I join the sufaces pictured below into a closed polysurface, the walls will appear all warped. What is happening here? How can I fix this?

Warped Extrusion.3dm (6.7 MB)

Unjoined surfaces above, joined to a closed polysurface below.

Hello - please run the command DivideAlongCreases > SplitAtTangents=Yes, on these objects.

-Pascal

2 Likes

Thank you!

Hello - the underlying problem is that single surfaces that are not curvature continuous internally, like tangent arcs and straights, cause problems with the default settings for the display mesh - you can also often ‘fix’ the problem by changing the mesh settings in DocumentProperties, but unless there is a reason to keep the surfaces as single surfaces, I’d generally want to split them up.

-Pascal

1 Like

Can I use this command in Grasshopper, perhaps via ghPython? I can’t seem to find the appropriate method here.

Or can I avoid the issue alltogether? So far, I’m creating a boundary surface from a planar curve and extrude that, to the effect shown above.

Yeah, nothing jumps out at me in RhinoCommon - can you send me the python you are using, and a couple of sample input curves?

-Pascal

Ah, sorry for not being clearer, I am not using ghPython for this. That’s just my go-to for when I need something that’s not available as a component.

This is how I’m currently creating the extrusions. I’d hoped I could simply chain the DivideAlongCreases operation to the end, rather than bake and run the command manually.

Warped Extrusion.gh (388.1 KB)

Thank you for taking the time to look into this!

@messismore - put a Simplify Curve component between curve and boundary…

Any better?

-Pascal

Even with the tolerance cranked up I get some of these errors, unfortunately:

Yes, one or two here as well.

@messismore - see how this works - not extensively tested but in your example it seems to work.

Warped Extrusion_PG.gh (393.7 KB)
It splits up the extrusions via a Python script and then caps the result.

-Pascal

1 Like

That appears to work. Thank you!