Surface on a mouse

Hey there,
how can I approach this? It looks simple but is complicated to me…
How can I make this surface and have it flow “through” the edge of the side?

230221_Mouse_01.3dm (188.5 KB)

I never modeled anything with surfaces and control points.

-paul

start here-
http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/training-level1/en-us/Default.htm

1 Like

Hi Paul - FWIW this looks like two surfaces, one of them a Revolve, to me:

-Pascal

2 Likes

Hey, thanks!
I worked through lvl 1 and lvl 2 a while ago. Helped me alot. I model always in rhino and used it in my internship daily for 6 month.
By saying I never modeled something with surfaces I meant something like this mouse, like more “complex” surfaces etc. I just never used these commands. Sorry…
The stuff I built was mainly easy I guess …
But I will go to the tutorials. Probably will find more useful stuff there. And your getting started videos are also great.

complex models ironically come from the simplest of surfaces.

this series is also gold… watch them all.

Yes! That is something I often realise… I always think too complicated. Thanks for the link :slight_smile: will learn!

-paul

if you follow the single span mentality when reasonable, it will greatly improve your modeling.

BUT… remember that class A modeling (single span) is most useful when you are making a car or highly reflective object. It’s a guideline for product design NOT a law.

1 Like

You can use the rotation, but you don’t have to. You can trim the round area.
It depends on the exact contour on the top view.
Or build it in this way:

Black points = end of curves
backside was original one curve

It is al lite bit tricky become a good curvature.

1 Like

The image posted by the OP looks to me like it is most likely a revolved surface, with a true arc at the back and no flattening…
Note if you make a surface as in your image, with tangent edges, it cannot be offset (and therefore filleted, most likely) cleanly.

-Pascal

1 Like

Yes offset is a problem. I forgot.
pipe > trim > blend surface (G2) goes gut.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has tried to answer this question.

The way to do that is to first untrim the surfaces so that you have the sides and top of the mouse fully intersecting each other.
Then use intersect command with Record History turned on to create a curve of intersection.
Turn on control points for the top surface.
Then go to a Right View and edit the control points of the top surface until the intersection curve lines up with the curve that you used to trim the sides.

In the enclosed file :Mousex.3dm (365.6 KB)

the cyan curve is the intersection curve with history on. The Red and Magenta curves are the curves you want to get the top surface to align with from a Right View.
Use window select to select pairs of control points and then move lower pairs of control points to get the cyan curve to align with the magenta curve and move upper pairs to get the top edge of the surface to align with the red curve.

2 Likes

I modified your model just tiny bit to make it closer to what a human hand would feel comfortable to hold, as well as to maintain curvature continuity across the vertical surfaces. The mouse is slightly taller than what it should be, however. This is just a quick exercise.

Mousex Bobi.3dm (494.4 KB)

1 Like

you can also extract the upper surface out of a sphere. though the initial mouse might be a little flatter but its not far off an can also deceive on the image, would have to see the mouse in real.

If it helps.

1 Like

neat mouse :smiley: well ok the sphere thing does not fully cover it obviously, though it still could work if you want to take it as a starting point.

here a proof of concept

1 Like