Surface Closest Point

Hi everyone,

I need some help, I am trying to create these panels and I have done so previously using this video tutorial. I am trying it on a different curve and the points and plotting on either side and I cant seem to work out the solution. Could someone help please?

I managed to solve the curve issue but now cant solve the plotting of the circles to spread across

for a more even distribution of the points on a surface, you might need to rebuild your surface / input curves. Other than that, to get help, always include the gh file, you can upload here too.

Script For Facade 2.gh (14.2 KB)
Facade Trial.3dm (80.2 KB)

Thanks for the help, I have attached the script. I am trying to make the circles distributed.

When attaching files, it’s generally recommended to internalize the data, this way you only need to upload the gh file:

see if this helps:
Script For Facade 2a.gh (13.5 KB)

That is awesome! I wasn’t aware you could do that!! Is there a possibility to scatter the holes sizes across the panel? It seems like where the curve starts the circles are large and I would like to scatter them?

not sure what you mean here. Your definition is basing the circle diameter on the curvature of the surface. If the pattern needs to vary along the surface, you could use point /curve attractors or make it vary based on an image. There are many examples of this already on the forum, see first if those help.

Point curve/attractors? I am not sure how to use those components? Could you help me with that?

As mentioned, do a search here on the forum, as there are many examples of this already. e.g.:

I will attempt that now, and come back to you if im stuck! Thanks so much (currently stressing majorly)

1 Like

I have attempted this and seems like this file works. But not sure how to change the facing of the circles, they are facing one direct and would like them to work with the surface.

Attractor Circles.gh (18.5 KB)

see light blue group:

Attractor Circles_1.gh (14.1 KB)

Will attempt now, I’ll get back to you thank you Gijs!

Hey Gijs, sorry mate I have another question. I want to use a curve attractor to plot the holes aswell, I am trying a script but its using different shapes. How could I combine this to the current file. I am using this?

Attractor.gh (29.7 KB)

your file is missing geometry

1 Like

Hey Gijs, I am trying to extrude the circles in the direction they are facing but this is the outcome. What would I need to alter?

Attractor Circles_2.1.gh (22.2 KB)

You want to use surface normal for each point, generally with an Amplitude component.

Attractor Circles_2022Oct22a.gh (21.7 KB)

You might also want to cull extrusions less than a certain radius?

1 Like

Oh that’s fantastic. Thank you Joseph, exactly what I needed. I knew I was using the wrong component.

Hey Joseph,

I am now trying to remove the surface from the inside of the holes whilst leaving the entire surface intact. Would I go about this using a solid difference component?

Split Surface. See this post, version ‘b’: