SubD Toggle, one is enough (TAB)

1. When a command asks for a point and direction, pressing Tab enables direction constraint.
  2. In the BoxEdit panel, press Tab key to go through the value boxes.
  3. In the Layer panel, when you editing a layer name, pressing Tab finishes the rename and add a new layer with the name highlighted for renaming.
  4. Ctrl+Tab makes the next viewport active.

So far, the actions above do not conflict with toggling SubD appearance. I’m not sure if the Tab key is used in some other places where conflict would happen.

The Tab key is selected to toggle SubD appearance because other SubD modeling apps use it. Making the Tab key configurable was invaginated in RH-55227, but ended up not implemented.

1 Like

I think changing the key assignments that have been existing for a very long time might cause problems for some groups of users.

1 Like

Thanks Kelvin for the links. I’m not too worried about the conflicts as this can be always ironed out.

Too bad, sorry but seems to me like a poor decision to hardcode it. I realize you are now all excited about the new SubD workflow which is a huge effort to implement, but making Tab configurable would be very valuable for non-SubD users. Nothing wrong with making Tab a default SubD toggle if that’s other software standard, but allow us to change it. I always liked the flexibility of Rhino UI and ability to configure and customize the way we work. Maybe not too late for V7 and Tab to keep this trend?

1 Like

Making the Tab key configurable is still on the wish list. (RH-3534)
Commented by @wim a few days ago for this post. I can’t say when it will happen.

1 Like

Have a look at this post and perhaps contribute your ideas there…

1 Like

100% agree here!
No hard coded SubD toggle to Tab-key!

1 Like

I get that, but at some point it might be necessary

1 Like

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-57537
I added this Youtrack issue to find out the hotkeys that have never or rarely been used by Rhino users. Not sure if it makes sense.

1 Like

@martinsiegrist
Rhino 7 WIP compiled after April 13, 2020, will have the SubDDisplayToggle command removed from F4.

@Jarek
Based some internal discussion, we’re trying to make the Tab key configurable. RH-57554
Direction lock toggle would still work as usual and would not be configurable.

1 Like

Perfect! thank you for listening. Tab-direction is indispensable, but otherwise customizing it will be very helpful.

3 Likes

RH-57526 is fixed in the latest WIP

I have just tested the customized Tab key in WIP; works well (both as default subD toggle, and trying something else, like Gumball Toggle).

The only problem so far is that in Rendered mode, it kicks in the Toon shading display that is a kind of hidden feature, but now it stays “Tooned” until next view change. @Jeff, @mikko - not sure how many users know of the toon shading or use it, but perhaps it could be implemented as a general display toggle command, and not hooked to Tab key anymore ?

best,

–jarek

It’s been removed.

-J

Hi just wondering when I use the Tab for SubD display from smooth to flat, it simply doesn’t change the display and I also pressed the Toggle Button for the SubD Display and wouldn’t either work that way too and the commands pop up but no change

Just wondering what I can do to see the change in the display

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam -
Just to troubleshoot this - could you make a SubD box with the SubDBox command and then hit the Tab key? Then open the command history (F2) and copy-paste the command information here.
Also run SystemInfo and copy-paste that information here.
Thanks,
-wim

Hi

I have copied the command history below and System Info pasted below

Thanks

Sam

Command: SubDBox
First corner of base ( Diagonal 3Point Vertical Center XCount=2 YCount=2 ZCount=2 )
Other corner of base or length ( 3Point )
Height. Press Enter to use width
Command: '_SubDDisplayToggle
SubD display changed from smooth to flat. 1 SubD changed.
Command: _CommandHistory

Rhino 7 SR0 2020-8-4 (Public Build, 7.0.20217.03575, Git hash:master @ 31b1a3c260f17d78fb19ebf37e76b172f5dda99a)
License type: Educational, build 2020-08-04
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2020-09-18
Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 3Gb)
Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) (Unknown) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 3-2-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 2.1 INTEL-10.25.17
OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Parallels and Intel Inc.
Render version: 2.1
Shading Language: 1.20
Driver Date: NA
Driver Version: NA
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1561258 KB
Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.20217.3575
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.20217.3575
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.20217.3575
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.20217.3575
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.20217.3575
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Thanks Sam -

Parallels is not a supported platform so display-weirdness is to be expected.
As far as I recall, this is the first report of the SubD display toggle not working on Parallels, but the, it’s possible that you are the first one that tries.

I wouldn’t count on this getting better and recommend that you look into using Bootcamp to run Rhino for Windows on Mac hardware or to just run Rhino for Mac.
-wim

Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me.
Do you know if I i run Rhino 6 on my Mac, can I operate the grasshopper that comes with it on Mac not windows ? Or does the grasshopper that comes with it only operate on windows ?

Thanks

Sam

And is there a working in progress for Rhino 7 on mac ?

Yes Grasshopper works on Mac, and yes there is a WIP for Mac.