Subd selection tools and vertex merge that I'd like to see implemented

RH-57202 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

Using it already. Handy.

Don’t install this in the WIP. In the WIP Rhino Render is Rhino Render Next, but much improved. Rhino Render Next is sub-optimal.

1 Like

They tell me that the added selection tools don’t work so well (and still, they’re not very functional).
For example:

• Every time you click on the “selection” icon, the annoying window with the various filters always appears …
  • You cannot select (using only the mouse) more than one face, edge or point. If I select “Faces”, with the mouse, I can only choose one face at a time; to select several, I have to use the annoying shift key + click mouse (to add and select more than one face).
  • When the “Vertices” selection is activated, these do not appear, they remain invisible; only after selecting / clicking them are they highlighted in yellow.

Until there is a convenient selector (such as that of TSplines) it will be very uncomfortable to be able to work faster and with greater productivity. Currently the selector is not very flexible. To improve!

What do you want to have happen instead?

Are you expecting to click on different sub-objects to accumulate a selection? How would you deselect an unintended selection? Click again?

If clicking successively accumulated a selection set, how would you clear the selection?

That’s true. Though the edges do conveniently locate the vertices, right? It turns out that even with all the selection filters deactivated, you can still select these vertices. Would you expect the vertices to appear all the time?

I expect a selector very similar to that of TSpline, very convenient, for example.
For example, if I want to select the “faces”, I use the relative selection which allows me to activate only these. If I want more than one, I click with the mouse (only with this, without needing the keyboard); if by mistake, I want to deselect some, I click again on the faces that I am interested in excluding. Same reasoning for edges and vertex.

The vertices should be activated and made visible, in my opinion, not appear hidden.

Ah, I forgot, that annoying pop-up window that appears every time you click on a selector (vertex, edge or face) should disappear, in my opinion: a disturbing element!

Yeah, I hear you. This is one are where T-Splines was not very “Rhino-ish” in its design. It’s efficient, for sure. And it’s a pretty major departure from how selection works in Rhino. One could argue that all selection should work like T-Splines did. But that’s a pretty substantial change to Rhino, and likely not one for Rhino 7.

After you select 30 faces, how would you deselect them? Click each of them again?

Can you send a screenshot of what you find annoying? I’m not understanding you at all. Probably because I don’t think it’s annoying.

For “what do you expect to have happen”…

The popup can be avoided by parking the window somewhere and leaving it open all the time.
I’ve got it above my Osnap bar at the bottom of my screen:

The only complaint I have is that it could be a little more compact and the gap between it and my osnap bar could be smaller. Spacing should be tight like the osnap bar.

This is such a minor graphics quibble though. If I had to prioritize a graphics issue, it’d be this: Selected SubD edges only highlight one pixel wide. They should highlight at the same width as SubD edges are set to in view options. I have trouble seeing them the way they are now.

I think that using the keyboard and at the same time the mouse is not comfortable to select multiple elements.
Using only the mouse gives you more freedom and allows you to operate more easily and immediacy. Select or deselect 10 or 30 faces only with the click of the mouse it’s easier than having to hold down the shift key every time. Selecting each entity should allow you to select (mouse only) multiple elements and not just one.

RH-57183 is fixed in the latest WIP

You would need an “edit mode” selector like this (Tsplines), which allows you to select vertices, edges or faces in a more functional way than Rhino currently does.
Rhino’s is an invasive selector (the annoying pop-up window is unwatchable!). You always need the click of the keyboard to be able to select or deselect multiple elements; the vertices are not highlighted, as if the command does not work.

(From 7:01, to get an idea…)

RH-56263 is fixed in the latest WIP