Sub-D modelling issues and improvements

Hi guys, I am Sub-D modelling for fun again, as I rarely have the pleasure to use this technology on a daily basis now. This time it’s an 51 Chevy and I encounter some issues that needs to be taken care of.

1- When makin something as simple as a “Single Subd Face” from scratch I see that I can not snap to the points I just made. We need this to line up points when we use Tab to constraint directions. (Try making a rectangle and you’ll see what I mean)

2- Hide, Isolate and unhide are hidden when the subd tab is active. These are important for fast moddeling. (I use short cuts though)

3- The Tab replaces the default toolbar so common tools like rotate and scale etc is gone, it would be nice if these were added to the SubD vertical toolbar.

4- If I sub select with region an edge on a subd then I can’t extrude it with the gumball because it also subselects the vertices, it would be nice if Rhino was intelligent enough to handle this.

5- If a SubD object is “smooth” and I have controlpoints on then I expect Rhino to handle the subd edge and the control cage edge as “one”. If I select the edge then the cage edge is selected too, but if I select the cage edge then the subd edge isn’t. This causes issues when I want to extrude an edge with the gumball as I sometimes miss the right edge when selecting multiple edges. It would be better imo if these were handled as the same object.

6- When an edge or a cage edge is selected and I rotate with the gumball I expect to see both edges update in realtime, now only the subd edge updates, making it difficult to align the cage correctly. So I have to swap to unsmoothed mode first.

I’ll post more as I go along.

7 Likes

can you post an example or a screenshot? I want to make sure I’m understanding your need here-

can you not simply copy these tools to your subd toolbar?

again, simply copy them to your subd toolbar

I’m not seeing this, a dragged sub object selection grabbing edges and verts does extrude using gumball fine here.

extrude

agreed- I’ll write that one up

agreed I’ll write that up too-

thanks for reporting these, truck looks amazing!

heres an old hotwheels car I did in subd 7or 8 years ago in tsplines-
Subd is really cool for these old trucks!

2 Likes

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-67992

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-67993

1 Like

Nice car, love the front! And as always your designs are otherwordly!

1- Try to make a ‘Single SubD face’ (it’s a tool :wink: ) and now draw a rectangle where you want the last point to align with the first, so use tab to toggle the direction. And see that it doesn’t snap to the first point.

1b - try to make a new one and put 3 or more horisontal points and the same with vertical points (use ortho), and turn on controlpoints afterwards, see how it removes the points that are on a straight line. (If I draw freehand it is ok, but then I have to move them afterwards)

2 and 3 … yeah I can but that doesn’t benefit anybody else. The GUI should be efficient for all

4- try turning on controlpoints first (so it shows the cage) just dragging preselected subd edges is OK in both scenarios, but if you select both the subd edge and the cage edge (which is the same thing imo) then it fails.

Thanks for writing up the others.

1 Like

By the way, here’s the evenings progress.
Just sketching up the main shape, lot’s of detailing to do to get it right.

18 Likes

OT
Your viewport style is amazing!
I vote to make it the standard Rhino shaded view!

Any chance you can share this style with us?

1 Like

Thanks, sure!
The top view is just rendered with white background and this HDRI as lighting:
Autoshop 01 HDRI • Poly Haven Just download the 2K version and drag it into Rhino, choose environment and swap to that new environment.

The bottom image is Raytraced with viewport background as “rendersettings” and with an object as backdrop. 20 samples with intel denoiser and subD wires shown.

The material is just a gray plastic with clarity at 65%.
Here is almost the same view in rendered:

The rendering is a tad lighter as you can see.

5 Likes

Hi Holo, you do amazing work in such little time. If I might say that the rear wheel wells need something more. Maybe a detail to break up the roundness. Regards, Mark

1 Like

oh hell yes… this is going to be another amazing model!

check this out kids… this is how it’s done… The topo has everything you need and nothing you don’t.

well done- can’t wait to see the final product!

5 Likes

Thanks, and absolutely right. Every part will go through at least three rounds of adjustments/replacements. First round is just to get to know the actual product and to figure out an good enough/optimal topography. :+1:

Another improvement I’d like to see is weld edges where vertices line up. I have not found a good way to do this so I delete the face and make a new one with bridge instead.

Anyhow, here is an update on the Chevy.
Lots of small adjustments to the main parts.

With wires:

And the caged version:

13 Likes

I would second this. There are moments where it’s possible to get a subD cage containing naked edges even when they’re directly on top and attached. It then requires you to sort of go through popping up verts so you can stitch them back down, as stitch doesn’t work so well when stuff is overlapping or very small gaps need to be closed.

2 Likes

While stitching duplicate vertices: running wireframe view + sub-object pre-selection (Ctrl+Shift) before the _Stitch command really helps.

1 Like

Ran into some more odd issues.
Check out the file and see if you can recreate the issues.

SubD try these.3dm (5.0 MB)

And here is an update on the car.
New rims, more details and lots of tweaks. Still far to go, but getting there.

7 Likes

It’s wonderfull! :wink:

1 Like

In example 1- there is a vert that needs to be stitched to get rid of the crease.

there is a subd sweep 1, but you could also simply gumball extrude and stitch the vert-

example 2, I can reproduce and don’t have a good answer…I’ll write that one up-

example 3, you are deleting that edge, which also deletes it’s 2 points, which would collapse the lower right hand corner. This is expected behavior IMO.

Also remember that disjoint subd parts that are coincident at the vert level can be combined using the join command, and separated using explode.

wrote up issue 2- https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-68057

Thanks for the feedback Kyle!

I partly agree, and also disagree as we need to quickly be able to turn two tris into a quad with out loosing data. If MERGEFACES gave a different result I could agree with you. But that command also removes the vertice. Maybe we could have a Shift-Delete for only deleting or something. Right now this is a lacking feature IMO, we need to be able to split and merge a shape without loosing the boundry data.

I agree with your assessment here. The issue is with the existing data there are essentially two triangles. once you delete the triangle edge, there is no 4th point and the quad collapses to a triangle itself.

we’d need to rig up some sort of way to combine two triangles into a quad, which is a different input then deleting this edge. Semantics for sure, but important, as the computer is technically doing what we are asking it to do here.

As expected, if you extrude a face off each edge 1st then delete the triangle, the face disappears, but the shape does not change because points remain after the operation that keep the shape intact.

Merge2meshfaces does this for mesh, I’ll write up a req for it to work on subd as well.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-68059

1 Like

It may be possible to just tune up mergefaces to keep the quad result from the two triangles. I added that to the feature req-

1 Like