Sub d challenge 6!

Amazing model and great feedback- see below!

you can drag select multiple faces as an input for pull- and pull can be updated with history-
But I see what you’re saying about not being able to select the entire subd for a pull input. Will write that up-
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-59069

yes… totally agree, we need to get that tuned up a lot… topogun does this the best I have seen so far, I’d love to have that capability here and will campaign for it internally.

you are on the right track with align… but I agree a real match would be nice.
Can you expand on exactly how you’d like to see that work?

They are in my build… make sure to choose chain edges and pick the subd edges as input rails- you can also choose to have 2 rail sweep output a subd .

Another way of doing that may be to bridge with 2 sections and adjust the bulge via the center edge, although doing it in nurbs like you did is more precise.

Agreed will write this up-

You can extract faces (right click on explode) , but I agree using an edge to split a subd would be super useful and much easier than extract - will write this up as well.

awesome work! thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

ME TOO AMAZING~ :heart_eyes:

Thanks for your reaction Kyle.

More or less the same as with Nurbs, with the options position/tangency/ curvature or better, closest point yes/no, average/first/second, and the possibility to match edge(loops) with different amount of edges.
But I am sure there will be more creative minds that can think of better options

Ok, I see now that selecting edges one by one allows me to select a chain of edges. Double click does not select a chain and deselects an already selected edge. That is why I thought it did not work. But selecting al the edges of a chain one by one is not practical. Also when Sweeping along SubD edges the options of edge continuity are not available.

I tried that, but adjusting the bulge works much better for me with Sweep, history enabled, by adjusting the cross section curve.

And thank you for pointing me to TopoGun, that indeed shows a good way to retopo a mesh. Maybe I will buy that, but it would be much better if such functionality is incorporated in Rhino.

yes but once you join the swept object with the SubD it would be g1. My biggest complaint is that the swept object does not match the span count of the rails it was made from.

You are right.

If you pre-select both the SubD and the curve, it will Pull to the entire SubD. Post-select faces to control the pull to only specific areas.

1 Like

Why?
How SubD will work with Grasshopper?
(I don’t have any experience with SubD!)
Thanks,

I do not work with GrassHopper, but I think Subd is great for shoe design since it is a good method to model organic surfaces, better then Nurbs or Meshes.
I believe there are some tools for subd in GH available.

1 Like

It is nice! But how do you proceed with 2D patterns?

2 Likes