Strange text appearing on model in rendered perspective viewport

Im a student currently learning rhino on the mac beta. Ive done only a handful of models so far, but I’ve never encountered this before. When i changed the perspective viewport to rendered, some random text showed up on the surface of my model. It seems to have something to do with with my point light i have set above the model, but I’m not familiar enough with the software to come up with a reason for this to happen. Am i just missing something? Ive attached a picture below:

This appears to be a missing texture file. A texture is an image which is applied to the surface(s) of the model, it can be either saved with the file or just be a reference to an external image file somewhere on your system. In the second case, if Rhino can’t find the image (for example if it has been moved from its original location or deleted), it will put text on the surface which has the path it expects to the missing texture.

As this tutorial was made for Windows, the path to the texture file is probably different, if you have the image at all. You can go into properties for the object and either remove the texture path, or re-reference it to an image file somewhere on your system.

–Mitch

Ok I understand what you’re saying, but there’s no texture, it’s literally “red” from the color swatch. And I did another model last night with toucan materials and it did the same thing once I put a light on it.

(Marlin Prowell) #4

Please post your model and your OpenGL settings so we can reproduce this problem.

Sorry its been while since I’ve been on, not sure what you mean by model, i have a picture of the problem posted up higher in this thread. Heres the Open GL settings you asked for:

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 Wenatchee 2014-03-17 (506)
OS X version: Version 10.9.2 (Build 13C64)

Plug-ins
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro11,3
Processor: Intel Core i7-4850HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Memory: 2048 MB
Screen size: 1440 x 900
Displays: Color LCD

USB devices
Apple: Internal Memory Card Reader
Logitech: USB Receiver
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.24.9 310.40.25f01
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

he means the model as in the .3dm file which is exhibiting this behavior…

as in: here’s a model of a sphere-
sphere.3dm (259.9 KB)

here’s a model that’s showing something similar to @adepino’s screenshot…

pointLight_error.3dm (91.7 KB)

open the file then set the display mode to ‘rendered’ (at default settings).

it’s something to do with the point light because if you delete it, the problem disappears too.
if you close then re-open the file, the ‘pattern’ will be different.

Shaded mode:

Rendered display mode:

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 Wenatchee 2014-04-01 (508)
OS X version: Version 10.7.5 (Build 11G63b)

Plug-ins
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacPro1,1
Processor: Intel Xeon CPU 5150 @ 2.66GHz
Memory: 7 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Memory: 1024 MB
Screen size: 1920 x 1200
Displays: SyncMaster

Third party kernel extensions
ia.CUDA (1.1.0)

USB devices
Logitech: USB Receiver
Apple, Inc: Apple Keyboard

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-7.32.12
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: Medium

Any news/reaction on this? I have a student that had the same thing happen - and yes, I saw it with my own eyes - but unfortunately am unable to reproduce it on my own machine… He was interested enough to grab a screenshot at the time though. So the really hilarious thing is that the text and stuff you’re seeing in the image is actually HIS DESKTOP! Note the calendar icon from the Mac dock which is clearly visible in the image…

His file also did include a point light as far as I know, so maybe this is all the same bug. I have a file that exhibits a similar problem on his computer, but I don’t see the same thing on mine.

–Mitch

(Marlin Prowell) #9

So far, this seems to be the combination of a point light and shadows. I can duplicate this here, and the wrong background goes away when turning off shadows in the display mode. There’s something going on in OpenGL that is apparently different on the Mac and I haven’t discovered what it is yet.

If you cannot reproduce it, it is likely a difference (bug) in some of the Apple OpenGL drivers.

OK, thanks for the info Marlin, I am running the latest Mavericks, I don’t know if the student has the latest updates on his Mac, so that might be the difference…

–Mitch

@Helvetosaur Iam also running the latest version of Mavericks and this is what happened. It used to not do this several months ago (also still running latest mavericks), until the latest few rhino mac beta updates. Also, I’ve noticed a substantial amount of lag when re-sizing the main window since the last couple of updates to rhino beta. It used to run perfectly smooth and now the window jumps pretty bad if i drag the sides of it smaller or larger…