Stopped Clipping Plane

Hello,

Is there a way to have a “stopped Clipping Plane”? Or a “clipping volume”

Thanks,
Brennan

1 Like

At least raytraced will be abke to use (any) objects as clipping volumes, once I enable the clipping plane support.

edit:

here an old video where I am prototyping clipping volumes (which is how clipping planes are implemented). At some point I toggle the clipping volume flag on the baked mesh. This can be done for any object (whenever I enable the support, that is :wink: ).

1 Like

Well, Nathan, since you have your mind on clipping planes again, here’s an idea for a fun feature that popped into my mind a few days ago:

Instead of clipping planes just simple-mindedly separating off a zone of display from a zone of no-display, how about also having the possibility of the no-display zone be instead a different display mode?

This would allow, for example, a view with a raytraced main portion and a wireframe, x-ray or ghosted zone. Really, any combo of displays. This would work well with the suggested “cubic” cutout. Perhaps if you can get it working it would be relatively straightforward to expand the capability to an arbitrary number of combinations, or at least multiple 2-zone cutting planes/surfaces/boxes/volumes, with multiple display modes? The display mode selection menu for a zone would include all the normal viewport modes but just include an additional one: None.

2 Likes

Oh, my mind isn’t really on clipping planes. I was merely mentioning it. My mind is these days and coming X days on drag&drop support for Mac.

That said, I think that this kind of stuff should be done with a compositing tool, and not necessarily be shoehorned into the current display system. It probably could be done, but would complicate things more than it should, with all possible buggy behaviour that can come out of it, and all the extra unnecessary maintenance of huge amounts of code with it.

So, some kind of compositing engine that can use the different display modes in a sane way would be the best way to go.

1 Like

Nathan, this is great, if only it was the opposite.
Not volumes clipping and leaving what’s outside the volume visible, but rather clipping everything that’s outside and making only what’s inside visible. This is how Autocad Catia and what not, work. and is awesome.

I tried to implement this with six planes 3 normal and 3 flipped. Even though it works is still a lot of work, and I don’t know how to use python inside Rhino very well. When I tried to implement it inside Grasshopper I meet even bigger difficulties because clipping plane as such is not a GH object and it got replicated each time I tried to change its coordinates.

1 Like