So many plugins, time for help to keep things tidy?

Continuing the discussion from Shrinkwrap challenge:

@DanielPiker,

This isn’t the first instance of someone unwittingly reusing an existing plugin name. Is it maybe time for some sort of register? It seems not all shared plugins are on Food4Rhino and there are doubtless many private plugins known only to their owners but which could cause a clash of names.

Regards
Jeremy

1 Like

I also requested some way to sort my components tabs. I do have a lot of tabs with only a few components and I will be happy to be able to merge all of them together into a single tab.

1 Like

I’d like to bump this request for existing GH 1.* versions. I don’t see a way to sort these tabs and it really is a bit of a workflow problem. Any ideas?

Do you have multiple instances of TT Toolbox installed?

Years ago I’ve used components of Human, TT Toolbox and EleFront in the same definition but found this to be troublesome when sharing my work. With the addition of Grasshopper Rhino components I don’t need EleFront anymore and the only plugin I’m still using every now and then is metahopper.

I have no clue of what you’re doing and I wouldn’t mind having the ability to sort tabs in Grasshopper but I also think the first step is getting rid of plugins.

Yes. Just updated yesterday, new version’s tab found itself 11 places to the left of the previous version. This defies explanation. I also just reinstalled Honeybee and PH-Tools - tabs scattered hell to breakfast.

No, it’s not. I hesitate to take the time to explain why.

Because you brought it up, a diversion from the point of this thread. Thank you for the tip on Grasshopper Rhino. I admit I’d never heard of it. At this point I wish I could download it. The name is kind of a (colossal) shame and PackageManager fails to find it:

This page’s download link is a dead end, informing me that Grasshopper ships with Rhino 6:

https://www.rhino3d.com/6/new/grasshopper/

Food4Rhino turns up nothing so far.

Since I’m sure someone will ask, my SystemInfo results:

SystemInfo

Rhino 7 SR33 2023-9-5 (Rhino 7, 7.33.23248.13001, Git hash:master @ 332dda7497b18e9e6f82f118da5cba0c448151a9)
License type: Commercial, build 2023-09-05
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.17134 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [97% battery remaining]

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P2000 with Max-Q Design (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 10-8-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 472.34
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel(R) UHD Graphics P630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 2-18-2021 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- There are no monitors attached to this device. Laptop lid is probably closed

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10-8-2021
Driver Version: 30.0.14.7234
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.33.23248.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.33.23248.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.33.23248.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.33.23248.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.33.23248.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.33.23248.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.33.23248.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Users\Armen\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SectionTools\2021.4.30.511\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

See what I mean? This supports a greater argument hinted at by this thread title: it’s hard to keep track of what’s installed in GH. Unless you’re an expert discourse forum member, you can’t trust that the GH components available online are worth it, current, deprecated, old news, a tremendous improvement, or even able to be easily found if they’re owned by McNeel.

It’s a set of native components in Rhino 8.

Sorry for questioning the use of plugins :zipper_mouth_face:

Ah, good to know. Looks useful indeed. Too bad for me, I won’t be up/downgrading to Rhino 8 until the critical development, let’s call them “oversights”, are fixed.

Back to the thread title, I just checked, GH 1.0.0007 in R8 doesn’t allow tab sorting.

Am I missing something?

At this point, I don’t think that will ever change for Grasshopper 1.

-wim

If you go back to the first post content, the thread was about managing the growing resource of plugins, to avoid issues like name clashes, and not about organising their tabs in the app (albeit that is a perfectly reasonable topic in its own right).

Perhaps a mod could spin off the tab posts into a separate thread?

I also endorse this request, I complained myself some time ago that I do have too many almost empty panels and I would love to have an option to organize this panels so I can reduce the number of tabs in Grasshopper.

1 Like

I think we might be screwed.

1 Like