Smart Roof-challenge_Parametric surface out of modelled element_Unsolved

Hi everyone!

In another topic I started modeling everything with Grasshopper, but couldn’t split up the dome anymore… So this is another approach to my challenge.

For a schoolproject I would like to draw a parametric roof structure which is build up out of 36 ‘arms’ that is a serie of elements which I modelled (in the center of the model).

Because this element has ‘wings’ that need to open and close and also is connected by a hing, I drawed every part seperately. For that reason, if I orient the group of parts (the whole element) to the curve, it breaks in parts again… So you get the following problem you see below;

Unfortunately I just started a few weeks ago with Grasshopper and Rhino, so I’m struggling a lot with it, but I hope I will learn it fast that way.

For your understanding I’ve made some concept sketches to make the project clear; (Have one week left to finish the model, so all help/tips are welcome :slight_smile: )

Thank you all for helping me.

Final project Field station.gh (30.8 KB) element Fieldstation.3dm (6.3 MB)

1 Like

Duplicate thread alert?

I started with another approach because I got myself stuck with that one.

@DidierEB. Do you have a specific question?

@davidcockey
Yes, I marked it in Bold in my description. The problem I face is that the modelled element breaks apart when I orient it to the curve. I tried grouping the parts, but that doesn’t work.

It’s also rotated for some reason, so it doesn’t fit how I would like to.

I tried to change the curve into different polylines with the length of every element.

what are your goals … in the one week left? It looks like you have decent schematic drawings, overall illustrations. What more do you need?

@Rickson
The goal is to be able to let every arm respond differently depending on what situation the building is in (input could be sun, acoustics, ventilation,…).

Now I have a model, which is very simple, but I can’t split up the roof arm per arm. It’s always symmetrical, every arm is the same. Every angle of a wing of an element is the same… I just want it to be able to change separately, if you understand what I mean.

So now I started all over again, by designing 1 element, that forms a chain onto a curve. With the idea that I can bake several configurations, and then manually open and close some wings or adjust the angle of some arms.

You don’t have a well defined problem. If fact you have more of combinatorially explosive series of issues.

What is driving/supporting the “roof arm”. The arm curve (or better yet, surface plane) needs to be distributed to allow connection of the hinge points (on a curved surface), once established you could distribute driver geometry for your wings that are relational. These aren’t easy problems for experienced design-drafters. Best handled each in isolation, with the gestalt in mind.

How many hrs are you going to put in this week?

What is the final product? A slide show? a fully parametric model that you are flexing in front of the class?

1 Like

The final product will be a slideshow, that shows a few configurations. And I’m working on a real 3D-model because I have the parts now.

I will work full time till that deadline. I just hoped that there would be an understandable solution to connect every element by the hinge points they have. And that it follows a predefined curve, as the one I have drawn. First I drew a curve first, but later I made it as a chain of polylines with the exact length of the element.

For me the issue seems to be possible. Mainly I would like to ‘fit’ that element onto the line. I worked when I made the arm and its wings fully in Grasshopper, but now, that I made a model it doesn’t work anymore, it’s just not connected how it should be.

Do you know a way to define that hinge point somehow? In order that I can define that point and orient it to the point on the curve (which will have exact the same distance), and that it follows the angle of tangent of the curve.

7. This is not a do-my-work-for-me group
Many of us like to help, but it’s good to see effort on our part being matched by effort on your part. Questions in the form of “ I need to do X but cannot be bothered to try and learn the software ” will (and should) go unanswered.

Similarly, questions in the form of “ How do I quickly recreate this facade that took a team of skilled professionals four months to figure out? ” have a very low success rate

Defining parametric hinge points would require Kangaroo (physics engine) or coding in rules of all sorts.

Orienting blocks along a curve isn’t a big deal. The script below requires pufferfish and elefront plugins. You can fake your flap movements by creating a series of blocks to be distributed.

element Fieldstation_Re.3dm (126.7 KB)

Final project Field station_re.gh (10.0 KB)

actually pretty close if you don’t get too much curvature.

3 Likes

Nice use of the “Discrete Polyline” component :smiley:

I still dont get why she/he used that component? Looks like “rebuild” the curve with more control points but after that, the rebuilded curve is used for “curve closest point” and “frame at”, i dont think there is any differences between the old curve and new rebuilded curve. Can you explain ? Thanks.

i was thinking the same thing, it was done pretty hastily and was hopefully improved upon. The idea was to use the discrete (vector based) polyline to get in/out angle for the hinges and provide a even distribution of the block along a curve. I never took it that far.

That one closest point may be superfluous, its only needed to provide a parameter (t) for the plane.

I’m assuming they got their homework done.