Slower than v5

Hi!
Just new to rhino for mac. I 've found out that R6 is a bit slower (panning, zooming, selecting, etc.) so far. Is it just me or is this a natural status during development?

Cheers!

try going:

(RhinoWIP) Preferences-> OpenGL

…then turn off GPU Tessellation

i’ve done that on two Macs and both times am getting better performance… im not exactly sure what that setting is meant to do nor which systems take advantage of it but both of my Macs are getting a little old now… both have older Nvidia GPU (if that matters)

maybe it’s something for newer GPUs? (@dan)

It is indeed. For your older NVIDIA GPUs, I am not surprised that disabling GPU Tessellation improves performance.

We are having difficulties with AMD and Intel (the majority of Macs these days) GPUs that we are struggling to address right now, so things are still in flux a little with regard to display performance.

1 Like

maybe a flux capacitor could help “fast forwarding“ a bit :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I have a newer Macbook Pro and performance for the shaded render is great… but all of the technical / artistic renders, etc… are very slow, slower than Version 5. I have a number of layout pages using these renders and the layout screen is almost unusable. They’ve been slow ever since the first beta.

1 Like

@tim.gift We made a change recently that you might be seeing. Did performance seem to change recently in layouts with artistic and/or rendered viewports? Did it seem to get better or worse? My guess is it got snappier when outside an active layout detail, but slower when you switched from one to another.

I haven’t noticed any change, but then I haven’t been using 6 that much. I just switched back and forth between 5 & 6 to double check the difference… Layout pages in 5 are slow, but usable, 6 is not usable. 6 doesn’t have the rendering / printing issues that I have with clipping planes in 5… so I work in 5, then load up and print in 6.

@tim.gift I’d like to see what you are seeing. Can you please provide a file that best illustrates the slowdown in V6 compared to V5? In all my toy examples, Layouts are usable (not ideal but usable) in Rhino 6 for Mac, but I think I need to test with one of your real-world examples to figure out where the bottlenecks are.

Try this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufi2el0j8fm022a/Falmouth%2034.3dm?dl=0

The layouts may appear a little messy, I need to clean them up. But, should definitely run slow.

…and I’m using a custom display mode, “Technical PDF” which has hidden lines, creases and intersections disabled. If you change the viewports to use the default “Technical” view, then it’s even worst… seconds between refreshes.

I opened your file in V6 WIP on my little 13" MBP.
None of your image files came with the file so my GPU wasn’t working very hard.
The display and selection performance in Layouts was quite good.

I can’t tell if yours is slow because of the missing display mode or maybe because of all the image files you’re using.

Using the Technical display mode which does some really fancy OpenGL “trickery” is pretty slow on my little Intel Iris chip, but that doesn’t surprise me either.

What’s the GPU on your system?
How much VRAM?
How many monitors are you driving?
What resolution?

I would also like to chime in and say that I find Rhino 6 for mac to be quite a lot slower in terms of display performance than v5, for example in panning, zooming, rotating etc. in the basic shaded view.

I have a 2018 15" MBP with the 560X running the internal display. Opening the exact same model, I find Rhino 6 on Mac to be noticeably slower than Rhino 5, and both of those to be significantly slower than Rhino 6 on Windows running through boot camp, which is blazing fast by comparison.

This experience is not limited to one model but is persistent across several I have tested this on.

One other particular area of noticeably poor performance in comparison to Rhino 5 is when moving a lot of curves at the same time, e.g. an architectural Make2D drawing.

For example, I have a series of these drawings totalling around 30,000 curves. Moving them with the Move command or the Gumball in Rhino 5 works just fine, while doing the same with R6 results in a ~10s delay each time I try to make the move, effectively making the gumball unusable.

Tim-

Sorry for the delayed reply. Thanks for the (awesome) model. I’ve been panning and zooming activating and deactivating the layouts in the model and so far everything is fairly snappy. What should I try? Can you give specifics? Like: “On Page 6, activate the detail showing 7” oars and…"

Hi @danieljgrilli-

Rhino 6 for Mac has a completely new display system that uses a programmable, rather than fixed function, OpenGL pipeline. There are cases in which this may be slower, but, overall, it ought to be better in most circumstances. Curve drawing is one area where results may vary.

Can you please post your SystemInfo? Do you have GPU tessellation enabled (Preferences > OpenGL)?

The Shaded, Wireframe and X-ray display modes are great. Plenty fast. Rendered mode is slow, but it doesn’t seem any slower than 5. It’s the Technical, Artistic and Pen modes that are very slow, slower than the already slow 5. Since I use a number of Technical based views in my Layouts pages, it makes my layout window unusable. Tesselation on/off makes no difference.

System Info:

Rhino 6 SR16 2019-6-4 (Public Build, 6.16.19155.12084, Git hash:master @ cc3dd299fd2baa25b3a14b0498296db9526ae6fd)
License type: Beta, build 2019-06-04
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Tim ()
Expires on: 2019-07-19

Apple Intel 64-bit macOS Version 10.14.5 (Build 18F203) (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,3
Machine name: Tim’s MacBook
Language: en-US (MacOS default)

AMD Radeon Pro Vega 20 OpenGL Engine (OpenGL ver:4.1 ATI-2.9.26)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 20
Displays: LG UltraFine (217dpi 2x)

Graphics processors
Intel UHD Graphics 630 (1536 MB)
Radeon Pro Vega 20 (4 GB)
LG UltraFine (2560 x 1440)

USB devices
VIA Technologies Inc. : USB 2.0 BILLBOARD
VIA Labs, Inc. : USB2.0 Hub
Realtek: USB 10/100/1000 LAN
Generic: Mass Storage Device
VIA Labs, Inc. : USB3.0 Hub
LG Electronlcs Inc.: LG UltraFine Display Camera
Logitech: USB Receiver
LG Electronics Inc.: USB Controls
LG Electronics Inc.: USB Audio
Apple Inc.: iBridge DFR brightness
Apple Inc.: iBridge Display
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple: Headset
Apple Inc.: iBridge ALS
Apple Inc.: iBridge FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: iBridge

Bluetooth devices
Broadcom: Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

Third party kernel extensions
at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (5284) E548A53A-C0A0-3554-8C0A-9408C5B3CD7A

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.16.19155.12084
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 6.16.19155.1002
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools” 6.16.19155.1002
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.16.19155.12084
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 6.16.19155.1002
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools” 6.16.19155.1002
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.16.19155.12084
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 6.16.19155.1002
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.16.19155.12084
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 6.16.19155.1002
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 6.16.19155.12084
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position” 6.16.19155.1002
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.16.19155.12084
/Users/timgift/Applications/Modelling/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” 6.16.19155.1002

I think this is why I am confused. In Falmouth 34.3dm, I don’t see any Technical views in your Layouts. Can you confirm which of the details should be in Technical?

Despite all this, I see some really slow performance in your layouts with basic GetPoint operations. I will log this as a bug for further investigation:

RH-53224 Basic operations very slow in layouts in attached model

All my layout views use the same custom display mode, which is a copy of the Technical mode with hidden lines, creases and intersections turned off.

But just turning on technical display mode in the perspective view is very very slow.

1 Like

I see that now. Thank you.