Rhino 6 mac Beta

Hi guys,

since more than 10 years I work with Rhino mac and I always loved it.

Yes, sometimes there were functions missing but ok.

Rhino 6 mac seems incredibly, incredibly slow and laggy. I use it on a Macbook Pro 2017 16GB ram and a mac mini 2017 16GB ram + SSD Hard Disk.

I do understand that the Raytracing preview is very hardware intensive, but why is the rest of the software so painfully slow and laggy?? What happened that now Rhino 6 mac seems to need so much power to run smooth??

I do have the feeling that something is really wrong with it. I hope the rinal version is much, much faster.

1 Like

Don’t think so as the final version will be out in a week. Maybe you could post the results of SystemInfo here, as well as a more detailed description of what commands/procedures are “laggy”

i had a similar experience on a couple of computers.

try going Preferences -> OpenGL …turn off GPU Tessellation.

doing that fixed the issue for me… maybe it will help on your computers too? it’s worth trying

——

fwiw @dan… i’ve mentioned this before… since that time, i’m now able to use GPU tessellation on my iMac and it’s fine… i’ve replaced my laptop recently and it runs fine as well with GPU tesselation.

so to me now, it works but i’m just suggesting this user tries toggling the preference since the description of the problem seems similar to what i had in the past.

I completely agree! My experience with RhinoWIP 6 for Mac is exactly the same on my maxed out 2016 MacBook Pro. Overall there are some neat new features, but I will stick with Rhino 5 for awhile, at least until I hear that things have improved. Performance-wise Rhino 6 is a huge disappointment, compared to version 5, which runs pretty much flawlessly.
Furthermore, a couple of features (.i.e. GHPython, Rhino Python editor, etc.) that I regularly use, are still not on par with the windows version, which I can’t even comprehend why. When I asked about it last time, I was simply told that I should use Atom (third-party script editor). I don’t even care anymore!

2 Likes

Turning off GPU Tessellation doesn`t change anything.

Rhino 6 mac will be out in a few weeks??? Is this a joke???

Performance is completely unacceptable. Rhino was always known for fast perfomence, small file size and low hardware usage.

Now with a 3000€ mac notebook from 1,5 years ago I do have “perfomance” issues?? What the heck??

Something with the code of Rhino 6 mac is really, really wrong.

Why was it not possible to make Rhino 5 mac better and add some new feautures there? Rhino 6 mac is a superslow monster with no additional benefit.

Rhino 6 SR16 2019-7-2 (Public Build, 6.16.19183.08014, Git hash:master @ 23734c7c4e8b5aff2dbd80c2defabdd5fc1cdc26)
License type: Beta, build 2019-07-02
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by:
Expires on: 2019-08-16

Apple Intel 64-bit macOS Version 10.14.5 (Build 18F132) (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,3
Machine name: MacBook Pro
Language: en-IT (MacOS default)

AMD Radeon Pro 450 OpenGL Engine (OpenGL ver:4.1 ATI-2.9.26)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: None
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 450
Displays: Color LCD (258dpi 2x)

Graphics processors
Intel HD Graphics 530 (1536 MB)
AMD Radeon Pro 450 (2 GB)
Color LCD (1680 x 1050)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: iBridge

Bluetooth devices
Broadcom: Magic Mouse 2

Third party kernel extensions
None

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.16.19183.8014
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 6.16.19183.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools” 6.16.19183.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.16.19183.8014
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 6.16.19183.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools” 6.16.19183.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.16.19183.8014
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 6.16.19183.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.16.19183.8014
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 6.16.19183.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position” 6.16.19183.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.16.19183.8014
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” 6.16.19183.1002

bummer.

is there a way you can show the developers your performance problems more clearly?

screencast may not work so maybe a video?

i know this is asking a lot of you and you shouldn’t have to do this but it’s likely they don’t see the problem on their computers and it will be hard for them to tune up based on your description so far.

it’s coming down to the wire for official release and according to you, the product isn’t ready… so it’d be helpful to see your problem more clearly either via description or video.

If you zoom it is slow, if you scroll it is slow, if you open a command it is slow, if you rotate a very simple view it is slow. If you do a command it is slow. If you open a dwg it is slow and unresponsive.

I tried it on a mac mini 2017, a macbook pro late 2017, a macbook pro mid 2018.

It feels like you are running a new software on a 15 year old low budget pc.

All the other software we run is just fine and fast. Rhino 5 mac, Maxwell Render, Affinity Photo Designer Publisher, Blender ecc.

yep, that’s what was happening for me as well (but turning off GPU Tessellation fixed it for me)…

but yeah, it’s not like i had huge models performing poorly… it was happening with new/empty files as well…

zooming was laggy/jumpy… orbiting was the same… commands were delayed-not instant… etc… anytime i did anything as far as user input with the keyboard or trackpad/mouse, there was a delay prior to the program responding to my action (then jumps/lags throughout the action)

that said, it’s working ok for me now on a 2014 imac and a 2019 MBP (vega20/8core i9/ 32GB ram)

i’ve been using the beta version exclusively at work and it’s fast/responsive/stable… hopefully it can get tuned up for your computer as well

It was also the reason I didn’t really test Rhio 6 mac wip and beta. It was just painful to work with it.

It really doesn’t perform like a finished piece of software, I was really surprised, that they want to release it soon.

If it stays like this I am really disappointed and we will probably not buy the upgrade (why should we?).

This really shouldn’t make a difference for performance on Mac now (and shouldn’t have for several months).

In general., V6 should actually be much faster than V5 so there is a good chance that there is something specific with with either the models you are working with or with your specific GPU that we need to figure out and improve upon. Now, we just need to figure out how to repeat what you re seeing. Is Rhino 6 for Mac slow with a simple model of boxes in wireframe or is it some specific model and display mode that you are seeing performance problems with?

It is also slow also with very simple models. Also when I do an entirely new model, after there is some geometry more than just 5 simple cubes there are performance issues.

Our computers used are late 2017 macbook pro 15 inch, mid 2018 macbook pro 13 inch, 2 mac minis 2016 with 256gb ssd & 16gb ram.

The performance is slow and laggy on all those machines. On our existing files and on new files we are creating from scratch.

With Rhino 5 mac no issues at all. That is a wonderful piece of software.

Any specific display modes then? Can you share a model that is slower in V6 than in V5?

yeah, i realize my info may be bad or out of date… it was the beginning of the year when i made the change in my GPU preferences and experienced better performance.

i’ve since changed that preference back to the default (GPU tessellation ON) and the iMac now runs V6 well

In general, the GPU tessellation option really doesn’t do anything on Mac Rhino and we should just remove it from the UI. The Apple OpenGL drivers ended up never really working all that well with this OpenGL feature and I had to write and alternative approach.

A simple check for courtesy. With Rhino in use, open activity monitoring and verify that there are no processes that are consuming CPU and RAM. In particular, check that the “mdworker and mds_stores” processes do not use a lot of CPU (up to 95%) and check how much RAM uses Rhino BETA at startup and after a certain period.

-Simon

When I launch RhinoWIP, the latest release uses 140 to 165 MB of memory and 153% CPU on launch. When I open a blank scene from the template window, it jumps to about 350 MB and the CPU usage is well under 1.5% now. Seems reasonable!

There seem to have been some improvements in latest updates. Zooming, panning, rotating seem to work fluently now! Moving and manipulating objects still seems a wee bit laggy sometimes.
Even with 1000 random N.u.r.b.s. boxes in the scene, the viewport is very responsive in grid view, but less in for instance ghosted mode, which is understandable.

Artistic view is pretty slow, however I don’t really use it. As far as I’m concerned it is the Comic Sans of rendered viewports.
Artic mode has become quite fast! Nice, McNeel must know that we architects love to misuse some nice ambient occlusion.
Grasshopper start-up seems reasonably faster than in Rhino 5 (with the same add-ons installed), but zooming in and out of the canvas is still pretty laggy!!

Here are some things that I still find annoying:

1. Do the side menus really need to flicker each time that I manipulate a curve point? I get that Rhino is switching commands, but this is irritating to me.
    flickering_menus

2. Still no GUI GH button like on Windows? Where have you hidden it?

3. Still no EditPyhtonScript! Why?
    edit_python

4. Still no auto-complete in GHPython! Really?

5. Unfortunate mapping of the GH radial menu to ALT + SPACE and not even MMB support! What? Why?

But my agents still flock!

Happens on all models, not only specific models. Even if I start from scratch with an absolutely new file. As soon as there is some geometry in which is more than a few simple cubes Rhino 6 mac is significantly slower than Rhino 5. In all display modes.

Been answered here

Idem.

Lots of discussions on this - here is one:

1 Like