Slider animation_how to export specific view_ colour wheel problems

Hi there,
I can’t figure out how to export an exact viewport of this little animation, I want a top viewport and only the exact colour field section, nothing else, in good quality. The export option via a slider offers no exact positioning of the viewport, I can export and post crop it, but the quality is poor. I work with MAC.

Additionally, would prefer the option via the colour wheel ( rather than the random signed RGB colour as included) , where the chromatic tone gradually moves through R, G and Blue. I can’t find a way to do this, any suggestions?

Ideally, I would like to export this animation as MP4, but I guess that is asking too much.
Any help very much appreciated…

Best
Ekke

random256_2.gh (10.1 KB)

Why the timer? And why connect it to the Color Wheel?
Which slider are you animating? Did you consider connecting a 0…1 slider to the Jitter ‘J’ input and animating that?
I don’t get it…?

Hi Ekke,

this might helps:
random256_2_recordImg.gh (18.2 KB)

at least you can export each image as screenshot, without cropping and without “top” view indicator.
not an mp4, but at least the series of imgs…

oh, little UPDATE:
to avoid to crop, size your window to the desired size.

hope that helps
Ben

1 Like

random256_2_2021_Jun22a.gh (13.5 KB)
random256_2_2021_Jun22a3

1 Like

Ben,
Thanks so much, you are talking to a guy with VERY BASIC understanding of Grasshopper, from what I can see is that you installed a script that saves screenshots on a local drive (?) I am working on MAC, so I can’t follow this script or figure how to handle the data, it might save it to somewhere but I can not locate that. I am working on this as a potential to be shown on a very large screen in Hong Kong, with a pixel ratio of 3500 by approx 950, so screen resolution will not do. You would agree that exporting of very specific views in grasshopper needs re thinking…yes, and I need to switch to a PC when working on Grasshopper…
Thanks again, this forum really is great…

Joseph, wow, how beautifully simple this is…question, I need the colours to gradually move through a red, green and blue tint ( ideally) , but this is already great, thanks so much. All this is an extension to some wall based work I have done in the past, so I am very excited about how to develop this further.
Wonderful, thanks so much…

1 Like

That’s exactly what it does.

Indeed I just wrote a c# node that saves the view and an element that “creates” incremental names and put the timer on them to syncronize each image with a change in rhino. you can doubleclick on the node to see the code.

Regarding the mac issue: We had a similar problem with another problem for @colinpartridge where he was able to modify it for mac. Maybe he’ll repeat that with this element if he finds some time. If I remember right he said something about making a “path node” and changing the path to his system. It IS possible, I just know very little about macs myself 8>)

Indeed it is difficult to export views from rhino, but as you are using squares, a bicubic resize in photoshop (or similar) should work quite well if you export half or quarter the final size and keep the resize at 200 or 400% exactly.

And finally yes, I agree that more options for screen captures would be great.

good luck, I hope your project will be chosen for the big screen

B

Ben, Thanks for this, I will keep you all posted on if it works our in Hong Kong, if it does, I will post it here and You will certainly get a mention!

It’s simple because my objective was clear. Your code and description were not, at least to me.

White group (below) is one way to get an RGB gradient.

random256_2021_Jun23a.gh (19.3 KB)

Joseph, apologise for not being clear, I do struggle to find the right way to describe these things, I will take a while to understand that one can use points on a curve to manipulate colour, but there you go…thanks so much, this is really helpful, and in combination with what Ben added, this is certainly going in the right direction…

If you cannot write well, you cannot think well; if you cannot think well, others will do your thinking for you.
– Oscar Wilde

Connect text panels to various component outputs to understand what’s happening at each step.

Adding a Flip (Flip Matrix) component before Boundary will create a vertical gradient instead of horizontal:

random256_2021_Jun23b.gh (19.9 KB)

and because you’re slightly more experienced. Be patient and friendly with beginners;) Your solution is very chic!

it seems he had asked the question in the very first post…

“I am so clever that sometimes I don’t understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde, [The Happy Prince and Other Stories]

I don’t mind some harsher rhetoric, I use them at times as well with my students, I teach sculpture and come from a completely different end, (image is a sculpture in marble I carved in 2005, all made hand) I do find many aspects of gh very intriguing and it expands my practice, so all good and many thanks to all of you .

2 Likes

You have the words “slider animation” in this thread title, yet I saw no evidence in your code of any slider to be animated? And you were using a Timer component… which makes me wonder if you know how to use the slider ‘Animate’ feature to get a series of images?

1 Like

Joseph, I have used this option on a number of occasions, it is cumbersome, but Ben offered a very good (part) solution to export the recorded files as jpg on a local folder. The problem with all of these is the fact that it is not possible to specify the exact frame one wants to export, you can choose view, but one still has to post edit (crop) the individual images. I can do this reasonably easy in photoshop, but I hope Rhino will address this at some point…

XONG_mapsurf.gh (26.6 KB)

I have to come back to this discussion ( unfortunately), for the love of god I cannot figure out how to project or map the grid pattern animation onto a surface or extrusion of it ( such as a text).
This should be something really simple, I tried everything ( this is just one attempt of many…), I have no idea why this is not working…Any help very welcome,
best
Ekke

XONG_2021_Jun25a.gh (36.1 KB)

Vertical shifting:

XONG_2021_Jun25b.gh (36.4 KB)

Maybe I didn’t understand your intention?
Do you want the each letter to have the entire grid overlayed?

P.S. Instead of re-working the algorithm, I just manipulated the grid dimensions.

XONG_2021_Jun25c.gh (36.5 KB)

Josep, you have to admit that this is way more complicated than projecting curves on a surface, I can follow you in the first part ( you also flipped matrix on the grid…?) but then ultimately loose you. But thanks so much , this is exactly where I want to go with this.
Now, I am doing this as I might be able to show an mp4 video on the ocean terminal in Hong Kong as part of an international exhibition that includes 5 cities, starting mid September. The screen is large ( see attachment) and has a 33:9 ratio, hence the initial plan to work in that oblong shape.With the data I have I should be able to work with this from here. However, if I can develop something finite, I would like to include you as official collaborator in this, I checked your website and you seem to have a wide array of interests so this might be a bit left field, but I think with your help this could actually go somewhere. Hong Kong has a huge potential for screen animations, so this might be a bit of fun along the way. As for now, there is unfortunately no money involved, it would be fro the fun of it. Let me know, but Big Thank you for this.

As usual, there is no single best way to do this but it’s pretty clear that you are out of your depth on this. So until you demonstrate some GH proficiency, this is a “do my work for me” project and I’m losing interest because of that. The term “official collaborator” means nothing to me. It’s just another forum thread among thousands (5K+) I’ve contributed to over the years.

You’re welcome.