SIP Panel Tiling - Box Morph?

Good evening all,

Hope you are all well. I have a panel which I created using a kangaroo simulation. This is to be tiled onto a surface which means I will need a “type a” and the connections are “type b” these would mean each “type b” connection would need to be different if the panels are to warp around a curved surface. Box Morph?

My other idea is to have them overlapping and creating a half lap joint.

I would prefer the modules to stay the same size and shape but to warp and create a form.

Does anyone have any ideas of which plugins I may be able to use in order to join these panels?

Below is an image of the physical panel & digital form. I have attached my rhino file too.

Forum Help Upload.3dm (18.0 MB)

Kind regards,

Manveer.

Box morph won’t really work because your panel system is more laid out like a diagrid (offset between rows). You could cut up a group of the panels with a box to fit / propagate correctly with a box morph but it is more trouble than it is worth.

Go with the “Surface Morph” component and morph your entire flat array of the panels to the surface, or if you are using Rhino 6 Beta use the “Sporph” component - which is essentially flow along surface.

@w1654009
What d you intend to do with the triangular gaps that you circles in red? Also, it your surface cylinder (or curved in one direction only), or is it doubly curved? Do you allow any tolerances in the joints?

Hello all,

The issue is the joint -as circled in red. I wanted the panel to work on double curved surfaces without scaling the panel itself however, this will not work.
My next idea is to have a regular shape - such as a cylinder and this allows the panel to work when orientated on a diagrid pattern with lunchbox. The issue now is the joint and how I will connect this panels as they overlap. Is there an easy way of creating joints? Fox plugin for grasshopper?

Attached image showing overlap below.

Just started using grasshopper recently so your help is much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Manveer.

If you populate on a cylinder, the connectors should be identical too. Did you consider populating the unit pattern with the connector on top?
Also, do you need that for visualization, or fabrication?

Hello, I have come up with a new panel which tiles itself quite nicely.

I now need to try and generate a form similar to this, which the panels tile on:

Currently I am using lunchbox and orienting and scaling to face. however, some of the geometry does not work. Any ideas/ precedents I can look at. Including manufacture too…

The idea is to create a tiny house from these panels. Thanks for the help once again.

Kind regards,

Manveer.

What’s your question? How to create the shape of the house or how to panel it?
Because as you mentionend earlier, you can’t populate a double curved surface with just one panel. Or doens’t it matter anymore?

The panel can vary in size.

Still no answer :smiley: you don’t know to create your house shape or the panel? If it’s the shape, I would recommend you, to rethink it. On your picture above the shape has some kinky intersections between the volumes. This will always be a difficult situation for the panel.

Sorry about that tim,

The idea is to create a house out of these new tiling panels. The previous ones did not tile. I have started a new post as my query for this has been resolved. I have created a surface (it is no longer a mesh).

Please see post above.

Regards,

Manveer.