Shrink wrapping blocks takes significantly longer than its original form

Hi,

I’ve been working on cutting down a file I have by using blocks, but as a part of my workflow, I need to shrink-wrap a bunch of things together at the end. I was testing to see if shrink-wrap would be faster on the normal meshes or the blocks I was making. It turns out there’s a big difference, specifically when “fill holes” is enabled. I’m unsure why there is this discrepancy, and I will probably end up shrink-wrapping the original meshes and then blocking the shrink-wraps as the most efficient way to get solid meshes and cut down on file size. Additionally, when shrink-wrapping blocked shrink-wrap, it doesn’t make any difference in time, and the file stays lighter and faster.

The r8 file is pretty large so I wasn’t able to upload it here, but if you’re interested, I’ve attached a link to a Mediafire for my Rhino file and a video of me demonstrating the strange inconsistencies. Any help is great!

You could extract the geometry from the blocks in grasshopper and shrinkwrap there instead of doing it in rhino.

Hi @Dane_Sosna

The issue stems from how shrinkwrap obtains meshes from a block. I’ll need to see if I can make that better without increasing the processing time to create new meshes to wrap from the block definitions core geometry.

You can actually repeat this issue without shrinkwrap involved by running ExtractRenderMesh on your block instance. Once you have the render mesh of it try to Disjoint it or run the FillMeshHoles command on it. You’ll see the slight variation in the two mesh structures.

This is where the difference lies and where I’ll need to get these two matching up.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-81387/ShrinkWrap-blocks-with-meshes-returns-different-meshes