Trimming a lot from file yet speed no faster at all,...why?

I posted this yet its not shown up so try again, it even shows in my posts under my profile.

Hi,
V4
I have given my file a good trim, remove unwanted items, deleted dimensions, etc. Still it is as slow as before.
Does it remember what used to be there ?

How do I cleanse or purge memory of this file ?

I have a lot to add yet with it this slow already I fear for the future.

Would exporting it out to a new file solve things ?

Are there ways of speeding things up.

TurboCad chap said dont draw many rivet holes, draw one as a block then create block instances. Standard practice in CAD he said else the program sees every hole as a separate item.

Thats a new one on me, is this applicable to Rhino ?

I did find when adding rivet holes things slowed down.

I create one solid cylinder then copy it to the rest of the locations I need to ‘drill’ out holes in my solid, then do a boolean and create the holes.

He showed me a block instance (if that was what it was called) of a circle in 2D view, does this apply though to 3d view ?

How would I use this method to create my cylinders and position them before punching holes with them into my solids ?

I have a large jpg plan in the scene, I often have a few more. Black/white and smallest file size I can manage.

Its turned off.

Does Rhino run things speed wise as if all layers are turned on ?

Steve

Hi Steve,

without seeing your file or a screengrab of it`s content, we can only guess what is causing the slowdown. You might start with this procedure:

1. SelBadObjects (sometimes these can cause insanely large rendermeshes slowing the display down)
  2. SelDup to find any duplicates
  3. Adjust the render mesh settings if you see a speedup in wireframe mode

that`s only guessing here, but how large are the images you´ve inserted and which format ?

One word about using blocks, in general they can be handy to speed things up. But depending of the amound of blocks, you can even see them slowing the display and reponsiveness down further. Keeping track of the rendermesh complexity inside your blocked geometry is a good idea.

c.