Show name of current CPlane?

In my opinion, the Status bar of Rhino is under-utilized. Even at the basic and most popular 1080p screen resolution, the Status bar’s width takes almost half of the real estate of the screen. That’s a lot of space to show valuable information, but sadly, the majority of it is leaved blank.

I suggest to be able to show multiple items in the status bar simultaneously, such like used system memory, the name of the currently selected object(s) /only if they have the same name, otherwise it should mention “Multiple names”/, selected object count, selected object layer etc. Showing only one of these at a time is quite limiting since it requires waiting several seconds for the user to be able to see the necessary information.

Also, it would be far more useful to finally implement an optional permanently visible list with all the objects in the file (just like many other 3d programs), that could be also arranged by object type and filtered to be shown or hidden in the list based on their type. For example, the user should be able to choose to see only surfaces and polysurfaces in the list, while the remaining object types won’t be listed there if not needed. Note that this is not hiding the actual objects from the viewport, it’s just hiding them from the list of scene objects in this particular window. that pop-up window must be dockable, lockable, and should support opening and closing via a key or a key combination. The objects list must be able to include every object in the scene, even those that are currently hidden or locked. It must show the layer where each object is located, too. The latter will help with finding “lost” objects that were accidentally put into some hidden layer that the user can’t figure out and thinks it’s missing, while in reality it still exists somewhere.

PS: I just created a dedicated topic about the last request:

As @Bobi says, there’s a lot of wasted screen space in the status bar on larger monitors. I have Rhino spanning 2 of 3 monitors; the status bar space on the second monitor has nothing on display and there’s no way to put anything there. I can see why the ‘rotating info’ thing was implemented, but I don’t like it. I reckon I could have all of the status options permanently on show, side by side (by side) in the blank space I’ve got to spare.

All of that said, I don’t think using the status bar for showing the active CPlane is good UI. The viewport and the information are too far apart. If you’re a devotee of single viewport modelling, yes it would be fine as there is then only a single permutation. I also appreciate that you’re trying to suggest a possible fix without busting lots of other stuff. As Bobi says, a ‘half-way-house’ might be to enable multiple info boxes on the status bar, and if active CPlane is selected, allow it per viewport and show the viewport name as well as the CPlane name? Not ideal, but at least the information would then be on show.

1 Like

I believe that entire status bar should be filled with data selected by the Rhino users. I disagree about the viewport and the information being too far apart.

1 Like

Since the majority of Rhino users work on popular screen resolutions such like 1080p and 1440p, along with 4K and rarely sub-1080p, there is plenty of unused space in the Status bar that could show useful information next to each other. As I mentioned in my post above, at 1920x1080 screen resolution the Status bar is nearly half screen wide. On a 4K monitor it occupies 75% of the width. If programmed right, you can literally place at least 5-6 different things inside the Status bar divided into several boxes.

It would make sense to move the Layer toolbar from the Standard tollbar to a location next to the Layer pane in the status bar.

Hi Matt -

I suppose this would be a bit like the viewport decoration that OneView provides. That currently works with custom named CPlanes but only in perspective viewports:

-wim

1 Like

Thanks @wim - I hadn’t looked at OneView before, but it does very much what I had in mind. However, I’d just like to be able to set an ortho view in one viewport and have it set its view to CPlane plan (Top? - what’s the functional difference between the two?), leaving the other viewports as they are.

That way, I can change an ortho view and know that I’m working in the correct CPlane for that view. I can use the perspective viewport to check that what I’m creating is what I’d intended. If I then run Make2D, the output is mapped to World XY plane and I can see / pick that up in the ‘Top’ Viewport.

Would it be possible to script this, so that either setting a user defined View or Cplane also sets the corresponding Cplane / View? Are either user-defined Cplanes or Views accessible via the command line or for scripting? I can see complications arising with this if it were used with an MPlane.

Which is the better way to go about this? Set the CPlane and let that drive the View, or set the View and let that drive the CPlane? Also, how can it be made to only take effect when an ortho view is set? There’s little point in setting a Top view of the CPlane in a perspective view - not that I can think of, anyway.

Hi Matt -

Most likely:) @pascal scripted the original prototypes of OneView and that can possibly be modified to do what you are after - but not by me… Several versions of that script were lost at some point but it looks like the following can still be downloaded:

-wim

Should I consider this a bug in the Status bar? No matter which CPlane I set as active, the Status bar always says the same: “CPlane name: None”.

1 Like

1+ on this.

Regards
R.Santos

2 Likes

When I start NamedCPlane command, the construction plane icon is turned on. Is there any way to turn it off?

1 Like

I just noticed this morning that the name of the active CPlane is now updating in the Status Bar.
Thanks for that, McNeel.

Rhino for WIN Version 7 SR16
(7.16.22067.13001, 2022-03-08)

Regards
R.Santos

Good morning Andrew.

In case this information may help you , if one layer of the NamedCPlane panel is selected, the Icon will be displayed in the Viewport. LMB in the empty area deselect all layers will hide the icon (make sense).

Regards
R.Santos

1 Like

Funny. :slight_smile: My Rhino 7 is a newer version than yours, yet, it still does not show the correct name of the active CPlane… I’m using Rhino 7 SR17 (7.17.22069.3001, 2022-03-10).

Hm, this works here but for the Biig Three not until they are explicitly set from the Panel. And for a named cplane, not until it has been restored - that is, not on initially saving - I’ll see if we can get that tuned up.
RH-68003 Status bar info: Current CPlane name is not always shown
-Pascal

2 Likes

Strange, it’s still working as expected here this morning ?

Tested scenarios:

• Double click in the NamedCPlane Panel either on Standard&User set CPlanes
  • Restoring NamedCPlane through the cmd prompt

Regards
R.Santos

It always shows the same “CPlane name: None” in the Status bar, no matter how I change the CPlane and how many times. Must be a bug with the code of Rhino 7.

Frankly, I don’t get how it works internally, it started to work here suddenly but I am aware that this feature may not be as reliable as it should be if it is not tuned up.

Btw I find it helpful to control which CPlane is active.

Regards
R.Santos

RH-68003 is fixed in the latest WIP

2 Likes

The bug is still present in the latest Rhino 7 SR19 (7.19.22130.15001, 2022-05-10). :slight_smile: