Share your custom viewport modes here

My bad, I didn’t noticed that the image is hidden inside the archive file. :slight_smile: Now it works.

Yeah, I’m aware of that (even had a post in the same topic), but it does not support sharp transition between the zebra stripes, which makes it far less usable than VSR’s solution for Rhino 5. :slight_smile: To be able to detect surface and surface match imperfections, the stripes must have sharp edges rather than blurred ones.

Anyway, here are my new favourite viewport display modes that I just created a few minutes ago. Took me a couple of hours to try different variants until I was happy with the environment maps. They are good for general product design and car design.
As usual, the environment maps must be loaded additionally from the directory where they are stored on your hard drive.

Crackdown 1.ini (13.9 KB)
Crackdown 1.rar (54.4 KB) (original PNG image)

Crackdown 2.ini (13.9 KB)
Crackdown 2.rar (93.1 KB) (original PNG image)

7 Likes

A couple more display modes with solid black lines of the control polygon, good for general surface modeling with lots of point editing.

Crackdown 3 (multiple sharp highlights with gradients that easily expose surface unevenness):
Crackdown 3.ini (13.9 KB)

Environment map:
Crackdown 3-2.rar (6.9 KB)

Also looks great with this alternative background colour: RGB 157, 163, 170

Crackdown 4 (soft grey highlights with blue and yellow accents):
Crackdown 4.ini (13.9 KB)

Environment map:
Crackdown 4.rar (98.8 KB)

5 Likes

An alternative version of Rhino’s default Shaded view with hidden tangent seams for a more beautiful appearance. Note that if you open a huge scene with plenty of objects and switch to this mode for the first time, Rhino will need some time to calculate which seams to hide, so be patient if it takes several seconds or more for the first run.

Shaded 2.ini (13.9 KB)

rhino_shaded_mode_emap_background

4 Likes

Didn’t get any notification about this updates :tired_face:
Thanks for keep sharing :call_me_hand:t2:

1 Like

I will upload a few more custom viewport modes soon, just trying to make a good environment map that will allow easy readability of the geometry.

3 Likes

Recently I have created and tested the following new viewport modes. My favourites among them are “Crackdown 5”, “Light lines 1” , “Shaded 5” and “Shaded 6”, though the rest ones are also helpful in certain cases.

Shaded 3.ini (13.9 KB)
Environment map: Shaded 3.rar (5.2 KB)

Shaded 4.ini (13.9 KB)
Environment map: Shaded 4.rar (3.9 KB)

Shaded 5.ini (13.9 KB)
Environment map: Shaded 5.rar (3.5 KB)

Shaded 6.ini (13.9 KB)
Environment map: Shaded 6.rar (1001 Bytes)

Shaded 7.ini (13.9 KB)
Environment map: Shaded 7.rar (1.5 KB)

Crackdown 5.ini (13.9 KB)
Environment map: Crackdown 5.rar (88.9 KB)

Light lines 1.ini (14.0 KB)
Environment map: Light lines 1.rar (414 Bytes)

14 Likes

I come here to thank @Rhino_Bulgaria for his incredible viewport modes and materials. I always think Rhino lacks a modern viewport display, now I realize it is just me not understanding it enough.

This is a real-time viewport, a real-time physics simulation with the Flexhopper plugin.
Honeycam 2023-05-20 18-27-40

Video version:

12 Likes

Wow, very impressive physics in Rhino! :star_struck: Thank you for the kind words and sharing the video! Is that the “Crackdown 4” display mode’s environment map assigned as a material to the simulated object in your video?

By the way, the “Crackdown 4” mode is inspired by two of my favourite video games, “Crackdown” (the original one) and “Crackdown 3”. The futuristic setting of the latter is quite colourful and features plenty of neon lights.

Yes, it is Crackdown 4 environment map as the material and Bobi x9 as the mode.
They are my favorites.
I have been wondering why it is called Crackdown. Now I get it, makes sense perfectly.

Other a few things when I tried to answer community questions on Grasshopper.

2 Likes

One great, but often overlooked feature of Rhino is the ability to temporarily apply a custom display mode to select objects, no matter which display mode is used for rendering of the entire scene, or which is the material assigned to the object. This is why I regularly use the ! _SetObjectDisplayMode command.

1 Like

My custom default shaded vp-mode:

Shaded Gray Clay.ini (14.9 KB)

Environment map matcap:

Objects retain their colours:

Ghosted version:

Ghosted Gray Clay.ini (14.1 KB)

(uses the same matcap as the shaded version)

I think the ghosted is a little dark though so if anyone has any adjustment recommendations, lmk!

EDIT: Changing links to display modes files that won’t replace the defaults on import

6 Likes

Shaded 5 should probably be the default shading in Rhino… Brilliant :clap:

2 Likes

On very complex scenes “Shaded 5” is a bit slow due to the extra effects like ambient occlusion and shadows to make the geometry appear volumetric. However, the good thing is that everyone could further modify the display modes based on their taste. :slight_smile: My settings for the shadows are optimized for use with my video card which is Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti paired to a 4K display.

Rhino’s default “Shaded” mode is faster at the cost of delivering a flatter look of the objects. Both have their pros and cons.

1 Like

Rhino 7 will not let me import your display mode, because it has the same name as Rhino’s default Shaded mode. In order to fix the issue, you may rename the display mode from its own menu setting (not the file name) and post it again here.

Unfortunately, Rhino is not programmed to let you rename an imported display mode to avoid such conflicts with same names, and instead directly refuses to import the display mode. The lack of renaming capabilities upon importing a custom made display mode is something that the developers may want to fix in a future update of Rhino. :slight_smile:

Here is yet another display mode called “Bronze 1” and, as the name suggests, it uses an environment map that resembles brushed bronze. Or maybe a light clay. However, I made it extra bright and with minor shadows, in order to make it easy to see every bit of the geometry.

Bronze 1.ini (13.9 KB)
Environment map: Bronze 1.rar (2.7 KB)

2 Likes

Ah yes, I was having this issue while trying to troubleshoot something.

I’ll explain my observations below in case anyone else runs into this.

It seems that the issue isn’t with the name but maybe with this ID:
Since that string of numbers/letters appears multiple times throughout the .ini file and changing the "Name= " part still doesn’t allow importing.

To get a different ID, I had to copy the display mode and export the copy.

So I guess this is also a good future note to other Rhino users who want to share their display modes:
if your custom display mode is one of the default ones
make a copy of it and then export that copy for other Rhino users to be able to try it out without having to over-write their own default modes.

Anyway, these should work:
Shaded Gray Clay.ini (14.9 KB)
Ghosted Gray Clay.ini (14.1 KB)

And if you like them enough to replace your default modes, then here are those files:
Shaded Gray Clay (default shaded replacement).ini (14.9 KB)
Ghosted Gray Clay (default ghosted replacement).ini (14.1 KB)

E-map:
Gray Clay.zip (266.8 KB)

1 Like

Firstly, thanks everyone for sharing these great display modes…I have no trouble importing them into the WIP 8 but nothing seems to happen when I try to import them into ver 7…I use the same cog wheel in display modes but it does not load anything…are the ini files configured differently for ver 7 ?

the only ones that load are from the McNeel wiki site… Advanced Rhino Display Modes…however, each time I import one from there it causes Rhino to hang yet shows up once I restart…

No idea why you have troubles with importing the custom display modes shared in this topic. I exported mine from my Rhino 7 and so far at least dozen people already confirmed that they work fine on their Rhino 7. Can you check if the macro of your cog wheel icon in Rhino 7 is correct and same as the one of Rhino 8 WIP?

What about right-clicking the 5th icon instead of the cog wheel icon? It does the same thing.

The only solution seems to import into WIP8…then export them from WIP8 and then import them into 7