Share your custom viewport modes here

As far as I know, each viewport model must be added manually from “Rhino options > View > Display modes > Import”. I usually store my viewport modes in a dedicated folder located in drive D.

I guess that this is Ambient occlusion in your screen-shots. Have you tried “Bobi X9.ini” and see if its shadow settings will work fine on your PC? I optimized those shadows for best performance/looks ratio for my Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti. Your Quadro RTX 4000 is 24% faster than mine, so you could use the same settings in your other display modes and still get better performance. Here are the shadow settings of this particular mode:

Note that the “Use advanced GPU lighting” setting may have some impact on how the shadows look and/or perform in the viewport. Also, activating the ground shadows significantly worsens the performance (such like in another of my display modes called “Bobi X8.ini”).

As for the Grid and World axis icon, you can play with these settings:

Maybe blended grid with about 50-70% transparency will work better in your case with the “Alias” display mode:

Ok thanks a lot for all the info.

Could you tell where the settings for ground shadows are?

set ground plane off:

Have left the settings for Skylight shadow Quality at 2, at 3 the performance drops slightly on my end.

Ok I finally tuned everything to the max performance, Skylight seems to interfere with performance in RenderedDisplayMode which was my initial problem.

So thankful for this thread.

One last question: Is there a way to show textures but also illuminate the scene with your Environment Images?

thank you!

1 Like

Sure, this is possible if you change the material type to “Custom” from the following menu:

Then you have to add an environment map that will be used to simulate the fake reflections and change the amount from anything between 0% to 100% to your liking.

You can also use ! _SetObjectDisplayMode to apply a custom display mode to the desired object, so that it will always remain rendered that way no matter which display mode you switch to.

1 Like

Nice image :slight_smile:

Thanks for these tips. Very helpful for understanding this better!

1 Like

Glad to hear that it helped. Those textured objects with slight reflections look very shiny while rotating the camera. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

@hannesgrebin - Note also that using this command won’t propagate throughout LayoutDetails (which is a good thing, so you can pick and choose which ones to effect.) You can also make this work on individual objects within a Block, and the Blocks (if I remember correctly) will then propagate thru the Layout Details. And of course, nested blocks become a little more prickly.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I got curious seeing the model.

How do make these? Given the surface is curved.

Isn’t this kind of boolean operation too permanent in Rhino compared to other parametric boolean alternatives in other software?

yes , boolean operation.

Cone shape is a revolve . Then in the front view I created a cylinder solid and array polar . Push into the cone shape until your happy with the position and then boolean difference.

1 Like

To answer your other question, you could do this using Grasshopper or have Record history on. To be honest something like this is simple enough to do so having it parametric is fine but probably overkill at least for my purposes. Often times in the design process I build several versions for study.

a good companion to zebra
lightlines.ini (13.5 KB)
lightlines.7z (1.0 MB)

7 Likes

Do you have any idea how to simulate static Zebra stripes? Maybe some kind of a material with automatic texture mapping that could be projected into a custom direction relative to the World coordinates? Unfortunately, Rhino only has a dynamic Zebra and lacks the much needed static Zebra such like those used in VSR for Rhino 5 and Alias. Both of them also have “Light lines” stripes, which is an advanced version of Zebra consisting several custom colours.

By the way, I used your viewport mode lightlines.ini and here is how it looks in my Rhino 7. The Zebra stripes won’t show up as expected:

Its custom material requires the following environment map:

Also, it feels a bit slow on my GTX 1660 Ti due to the shadow settings, so I moved the slider of “Soft edge Quality / Speed” from 10th position to the 3rd position. That makes the framerate more stable. It’s especially noticeable with my settings for sensitivity of the 3d mouse which rotates the camera very fast with the slightest move of the “3d cap”.

i have installed cyrillic languages just to test this:)
nice work, thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Sorry for the inconvenience, I will add alternative *.ini files with Latin names soon. :slight_smile:

no inconvenience at all!

it’s 3x easier to install the language or rename the files than make you make the work you’ve already done

Yes, I just realized that simply renaming the file names won’t do the job, because every viewport display mode has its own name apart from the file’s name. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Rhino_Bulgaria Have you unzipped the lightlines to the same folder as I have it? Otherwise you need to point it to the place where you unzipped the lightlines.png

The only thing I know of that comes close is this one Draft Angle Analysis Component - #3 by stevebaer