Share your custom viewport modes here

here is a mat cap with 3 point lights

2 Likes

This one has the closest to clay.

1 Like

That’s fantastic. Thank you very much! I will absolutely start using these. :star_struck:

2 Likes

May I ask why people like these Clay mode so much? It’s for habit or is good for doing something specific? I never used so I didn’t even spend time thinking about it… sorry for my laziness ahah
Thanks a lot for sharing everybody, gonna try a couple of this :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

If I may answer, it allows you to focus on proportions, expression, stance, curves and shapes. It’s neutral with good readability, and also gives deep shadows which makes those shapes pop. The shinier modes can distract you too much with surface quality issues.

3 Likes

really appreciated your answer, thanks! :beers:

Great Thread, thanks for the initiative!

for now, I have this display mode to share (the others I have to polish up a bit :slight_smile: )

Hidden.ini (13.9 KB)

what it does? It doesn’t show anything.

basically it is a performance hack, because it is not possible to suppress redraw in select viewports.

I do some heavy archviz stuff from time to time and especially when a floating viewport has to remain visible for camera matching(to define exact pixel dimensions) frame rates can drop a lot with dense geometry.

So I apply “hidden” to the viewport(s) I am not currently working in.

maybe it can help you in some situations similar to mine.

*it is also helpful when matching backplate images in the viewport, and you want to toggle only seeing the image you are matching and wireframe/shaded geometry on top

2 Likes

While this is true for the general shape of the models, in fact 100% environment map means you can’t take advantage of the shadows generated by the “Ambient occlusion” setting, thus reducing the ability to notice important imperfections that the AO shadows reveal. Below are examples with “Ambient occlusion” turned on in all screen-shots. Notice that there are zero shadows where the environment map is 100%:

Clay with 100% environment map:

Bobi X8 with 50% environment map:

Bobi X8 with 50% environment map:

Clay with 70% environment map:

I used the viewport mode posted by @FilmDesigner and did some small tweaks. Here are two alternative clay viewport modes. Clay 1 is almost identical except that the wireframe is fully black. In addition to that, Clay 2 has a reduced environment map intensity set to 70% to enable the shadows, as well as a brighter environment map to make up for the reduced intensity. In either case, “Lighting method” is set to “Scene lighting”.

Clay 1.ini (13.9 KB)
Clay 1.ini (13.9 KB) (an alternative version with enhanced World grid)

Clay 2.ini (13.9 KB)
Clay 2.ini (13.9 KB) (an alternative version with enhanced World grid)

3 Likes

I love it! Great adjustments. Thats what I do love about the ability to adjust and customize to fit each of our particular workflows. All of my settings are typically what works best for my eyes / office lighting ext. I tend to shy away from bright viewports and colors unless its for the purpose of temporary surface evaluation. That being said, my needs are pretty basic compared to someone working with the surface quality that Bobi is using. The film industry only has to look good not be good. Amazing what the camera does and doesnt see.

Thanks Bobi for starting this thread!

cheers!

1 Like

Usually I don’t use shiny viewport modes, unless I want to see the highlights that simulate where the horizon reflections will be located on the model (cars in particular). In fact, the easiest way to spot imperfections on a NURBS surface is to use a shaded viewport with matte material without any environment map. This is why my primary working viewport mode is Bobi1.ini. I rarely use Rhino’s default Shaded mode, because it’s fake reflections distract my attention and makes everything look too smooth and perfect, while hiding imperfections that are crucial to avoid on car bodies or the majority of industrial design.

However, sometimes I use one extremely shiny material to check the expected reflectivity of a model. I made it into a dedicated viewport mode, too. The environment map is taken from a free plug-in for Rhino called Auxpecker, found in the following installation directory when you install it: C:\Program Files\Auxpecker Studio\MaterialsRT\CarPaint\CP 04\002.png . While there are many other similar environment maps that come with the Auxpecker plug-in, I figured out that this particular one is the best for inspecting car bodies due to its multiple nearly parallel lines in either direction.

Car paint.ini (13.9 KB)

4 Likes

Yeah I have one mode to do the same basic thing. But I think I will give yours a try. Thanks!

1 Like

Some very basic looking viewport modes that use the render material of the objects. Surface edges and curves are 2 pixels wide.

Bobi X11.ini (13.8 KB)
Lighting method: Scene lighting.
“Advanced GPU lighting” is on.

Bobi X12.ini (13.8 KB)
Lighting method: Ambient occlusion.

Bobi X13.ini (13.8 KB)
Lighting method: Ambient occlusion.
Ground plane settings: Custom > On.

1 Like

For which purpose do you usually switch to this custom view? How do organic shapes look? Maybe are these colors, but this custom view kills my eyes ahah
thanks as always for sharing!

The main purpose of this particular viewport mode (actually 3 models with slight differences: Bobi X10, Bobi X11 and Bobi X12) is to render the objects in a clean “toon” shade utilizing the rendering material. If there is a car paint applied to an object, for example, it will retain it perfectly fine. The curves are all black to eliminate the distraction they create.

I also switched to it at the 23:25 minute here, in order to check if there are some unwanted intersections between the models:

I mostly use Bobi 1, Bobi X3 and Bobi X9 for 3d modeling. They all have 1 pixel thin surface border. Here is how they stack against Bobi X12:

Bobi 1:

Bobi X3:

Bobi X12:

Bobi X9:

Here is a comparison between some of my custom viewport modes with a scene consisting organic and mechanical shapes, as well as points, curves and surfaces/polysurfaces whose

Bobi 1:

Bobi 2:

Bobi 3:

Bobi 4:

Bobi 7:

Bobi 8:

Bobi X1:

Bobi X2:

Bobi X3:

Bobi X4:

Bobi X5:

Bobi X6:

Bobi X7:

Bobi X8:

Bobi X9:

Bobi X10:

Bobi X11:

Bobi X12:

Bobi X13:

7 Likes

Thanks so much for all your work. Will try out, seems like a performance booster! Also the description above how to set things up @Rhino_Bulgaria - massive thanks for putting this out and inspiring others to share their little helpers. Love the Rhino community.

One thing to maybe adjust are the Cyrillic file names, they cause problems and have to be renamed, but I don’t understand their meaning.

Thank you!

1 Like

Lol, looks like those random characters are a result of a regional setting in Windows. When I get back to home I will upload alternative files with Latin names for those who experience incompatibility with the original Cyrillic names. Does this happen on your PC with the image files as well?

I dragged all ini-files I liked from this page into a folder via Drag to download - Chrome Web Store

this was fast.

Is there any folder where I can copy all ini-files in the Rhino directory to not being forced to implement one after the other manually. Searched with Everything app on Windows and there is only my download folder.

Thank you

You are a star!

I don’t know probably, these are all I downloaded, WIN11

Understand the principle now. You have to add the Environment image to some of these Styles.

Is there a way to switch the UI colors with each style? As the grid has a certain color which would work in one environment but not in another when background color changes.

The grid is set to gray, as the background was the default Rhino gray background.

Thanks!

@Rhino_Bulgaria did everything you’ve mentioned and Bobi01 is very responsive incl textures, but I like shadows, but there is this one slider “Skylight shadow quality” which is crucial to set on 2nd marker to the left, otherwise it will slow everything down tremendously.

The left shadows behave strange. If far away there are shadows, if geometry is near they mostly disappear.

So are there special settings to keep nice shadows AND performance?
As I have a Quadro RTX 4000 which should be enought to handle this for the GPU

thank you!