Shadows Cast, Rhino Lightning, Rhino Sun, Vray

Im doing a render, while viewing it in perspective, render rhino mode. My default renderer is vray.

Problem: With not materials on, Rhino sun off, the default lightning displays. Good so far. When I add a vray material to the ground, the shadows that were projected by the Rhino default lightning disappear. When I make a render with vray, there is no illumination at all. This is kinda obvious, both Rhino and Vray suns are off, but Rhino has a default lightning.

The question: How do I make Vray use Rhino default lightning, and how do I get my shadows projected into the ground on “render view” when using a vray material

Consider that the default lighting in Rhino rendered viewport mode are just ‘imaginary & temporary’ lights so that the viewport is not totally dark and unusable. As soon as you place ANY light, they will turn off and hide.

For a V-Ray rendering, you will need to place lighting objects into the scene. Any combination of lights and sun will do, and you can use either V-Ray lights or Rhino lights.

However, you cannot use the ‘default viewport lighting’ by design. If you cannot select these lights, then you can’t change their values … so they are not used.

Alright, I understand. Its a shame because the view port lightning is just so perfect.

I have noticed that by adding a light, the render viewport in Rhino displays it differently as in the VrayRender. This is quite frustrating as I the render view in Rhino just misguides me into believing the scene is properly illuminated while its actually way too bright.

How can I make the viewport “render” in Rhino display a more accurate view of what the renderized image will look in Vray, or at least make these two sync in some way…

Thanks in advance, Shynn

Note: Only light is “rhinos sun”

I disagree. There is no ambient lighting in a viewport ‘preview’, which is what makes renderings look real. When you start getting good results using V-Ray, then I think you will change your mind.

I recommend you only use the viewport for basic navigation. Think about it this way: it can take 10 minutes for a high-quality rendering to finish. Who wants to to wait 10 minutes every time you pan or zoom?

However, if you have a high-end video card, you can enable the V-Ray technology called RT / Real Time. It’s not perfect, but can make the viewport look much closer to the final rendering,

If you need some extra help with V-Ray, check out their YouTube channel or the Lynda courses I did.