Set Geometry in HUMAN UI

Is there a way to set geometry through Human UI?

P.s.:
I am not sure I am posting here properly. I cannot select Human UI as optional tag.
I thinks the former web forum interface was much easier to follow.

You can use Tags. If @andheum likes, we can add a Human UI category under #grasshopper

1 Like

It would be nice. Human UI is great stuff, (despite lacks documentation… : ( )
I believe It is getting more and more popular among those Grasshopper users who want to imitate how a real application works.

1 Like

That really should be done. However, I saw that there were a Introduction course out there (on Vimeo) but it was part of a bundle of courses which cost around 1800 USD. That’s didn’t look very tempting to me.

Is there any good non-sensical courses around that adresses Human UI only?

// Rolf

Documentation can always be better, but I’ve striven to have example files, videos, and the components themselves have fairly thorough documentation of their use here: http://rhino.github.io/#HumanUI

3 Likes

I’d be very open to setting up a HumanUI category here!

Done #grasshopper:human-ui

2 Likes

OK, thanks for these links. Human UI looks fantastic. Hope to learn to use it quickly. :slight_smile:

BTW, I saw in the video list on Vimeo a mesh reconstruction made with grassHopper. Is there any chance that you would share the GH definition for that? (this clip).

// Rolf

My original question was: Is there a way to set geometry through Human UI?
:slight_smile:

Its is funny that I got all kind of comments to my post, but none of them corresponds to my question… :frowning:

Question is whether GrassHopper can be made to attach a selected geometry from Rhino to a GH component. If so, then Human UI could control such a GH component.

So if a GH component can do the trick, then Human UI can activate that.

Not knowing if there’s any dedicated GH component for doing exactly what you want, one option would still be to write your own script using the script components to do the attachment, and have Human UI activate that component (perhaps by toggle to true to activate the scirpt).

// Rolf

Thanks, I jam just a plain architect, so writing code is not really on option for me. That is why I utilize Grasshopper’s “visual programming” … :slight_smile:

I understand. Anyway, I suggest the following approach. You can connect a HumanUI component to the press-button and it will work the way I think you would expect (notice the Rhino Command Line after pressing the button) :

However, for some reason the GH canvas gets into a non-responsive state every odd number of times the command is activated. Perhaps @DavidRutten can fix this.

(You can try the gh definition attached but be aware of that the non-responsiveness still must be fixed. Repeat the command to unlock the “freeze”).

Here’s the script. Double-click it to see the code inside.
Assign Selection To Component.gh (4.1 KB)

// Rolf

Thanks Rolf, it is very nice of you!

You may want read also the following post, if something new comes up regarding the non-responsiveness.

For now you could try holding down the button a second or two, or press a second time to release the freeze (unless @DavidRutten or @dale has a solution to this).

// Rolf

Hi Bazals,
you want to use also “Human” components.
In particular, the “objects by selection” and “sort objects by type” components will be useful here :

SELECT GEOMETRY DEMO.gh (13.3 KB)
SELECT GEOMETRY DEMO.3dm (80.5 KB)

1 Like

thank you.

I’m also a fan of this script - it initiates a rhino “get” request which shows up in the command line and then spits back the GUID of the selected object(s) - just pass it into a geometry param to get a proper object reference. Pick Objects Script.gh (10.1 KB)

5 Likes

What should happen if I click on pick? Does not do anything for me…

You should see a prompt Pick: to select some geometry in the Rhino command line.