Server is busy error

Win 8.1 Rhino 5.0.

Every time I try to open a new session of Rhino, I’m told the server is busy and do I want to retry or switch to. Either way, nothing happens and I am unable to get in.

This happened after a total Windows 8.1 melt down and “refresh” and re-install of Rhino, so I reverted to my old XP machine. Everything was fine there, until I received notification of a new update. After installing that update, I now get the same symptoms as with the W8.1 machine.

I

Further on this topic:

I’ve gotten the XP machine working by un/re installing Rhino 5 and declining to install the latest update.

The W8.1 Machine - not so much. I did find that I can operate with little interruption when I disabled the About command. It seemed I was accidentally pressing the “A” key and getting the about dialog. That would toss the error. I still get the error when I first open a session, but it will eventually go away.

Hi Cliff-
Hmmm - this is the splash screen. Does Rhino run normally if you make a shortcut with the NoSplash switch and run it from there:

?
("“C:\Program Files\Rhinoceros 5 (64-bit)\System\Rhino.exe” /NoSplash")

-Pascal

That did it, Pascal. It makes sense, since I was getting it each time the splash screen came up.

@brian - do you have an idea why the splash is choking?

-Pascal

The splash screen is trying to talk to the McNeel Update Service and is failing. It may be that disabling the McNeel Update 5.0 service from Control Panel->System will make this symptom go away.

Dear sir
i go for this location
c:\Program Files (x86)\McNeelUpdate\5.0\

and delete this file (McNeelUpdateService.exe)

nothing until now hppened

ifeel better
hoping you so