Rhino 7 won't open because server is busy

Every time i try to open rhino i get prompted with the error message “This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose ‘switch to’ to activate the busy program and correct the problem”

Clicking retry doesn’t do anything and clicking switch to just opens windows start menu, and selecting rhino from there doesn’t do anything. I have restarted multiple times, uninstalled and reinstalled rhino with no success. Every other program works it’s just rhino that will open on the start menu then go away and give the error message.

Anyone else have this problem or know a solution?

Hi Jacob,

I get this on one of two machines. If you keep hitting retry Rhino will always eventually start, but you need patience.

I haven’t made much of an attempt to get to the bottom of it. A suspicion is that it might be connected to the Maxwell Render plugin, simply because that is installed on the errant machine but not the other. Do you have Maxwell?

Post the output of the Rhino systeminfo command.

Regards
Jeremy

I generally see this if I have an instance of rhino that’s busy working while I’m trying to open another.

I have vray and enscape downloaded but not maxwell render, it lets me boot rhino in safe mode temporarily to get the system info from there. Rhino was also running just fine last night and earlier this morning.

Rhino 7 SR15 2022-2-8 (Rhino 7, 7.15.22039.13001, Git hash:master @ 2833e18992fc4b5cf99bb29c4d8e8add4f02074d)
License type: Educational, build 2022-02-08
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.18363 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.9Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 9-30-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: (null)
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: On
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL (null) (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Unknown
Render version: (null)
Shading Language: (null)
Driver Date: 9-30-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5671
Maximum Texture size: n/a
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: n/a
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.15.22039.13001

Hi @meezyye
Start by updating your driver - it’s old. If that doesn’t help, try to disable all the non-native Rhino plugins (Enscape, Vray etc.) and enable them one at a time - hopefully that will help you find the culprit!
HTH, Jakob