Serious bug while importing dxf

I just updated Rhino to version 6.21 (6.21.19349.01012). Now I can’t open any dxf file anymore because Rhino keeps crashing upon import. This is a showstopper, because I need to import 3D measurement data in dxf in order to produce designs. Here’s what my Mac tells me:

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
Crashing on exception: The window has been marked as needing another Display Window pass, but it has already had more Display Window passes than there are views in the window.

I don’t know what to make of this, nor do I care. I just want to make my designs. This is clearly a bug, so a mistake on the part of McNeel. That’s fine, I make mistakes all the time. But it is extremely annoying that there’s no way for me to fix it or work around it. I would expect to be able to go back to a previous version, but apparantly there’s no way to do that. That is unacceptable. So please fix the bug AND fix the update process.

I don’t see anyone else reporting this so far, so you need to provide more information to have any chance of getting it fixed. Are you sure it’s really " any" dxf at all? What if you start rhino in safe mode? What is the information given by Systeminfo?

Fortunately, I’ve been able to fix the bug by updating my Max OS. I’m quite relieved.
Nevertheless, I do still think that Rhino’s update process, which won’t allow you to take a step back, is broken. I will only update if strictly necessary from now on.

Yes, it affected all dxf files that I tested.

Uh huh.

But then you wouldn’t have actually done anything to try to identify and fix the problem, which as it turns out was on your end, which you should have realized was likely when you didn’t see a dozen posts about the same thing.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what I could have done. I’m not a computer engineer. My computer only told me that the application crashed. I only came up with the idea of checking my OS after reading a post on this forum. But if my version of OS would affect Rhino, I would expect Rhino to tell me that. ‘Sorry, but this application doesn’t work with your OS’ or something along those lines. It’s not as if my computer or OS was really old. I have a recent computer and my OS was a couple of months old.
Moreover, if anything goes wrong, which will always happen at some point, I should be able to downgrade Rhino back to the older version. Rhino is a business critical application and I shouldn’t have to take the risk of being stuck with a non-functioning version.

Not 100% familiar with how Rhino works on Mac, but you should be able to uninstall the current version and reinstall the previous. The .dmg’s for previous versions are probably still in your downloads folder. Also, IIRC, when you install a new version Mac gives you the possibility to keep the older version as well - you might do that until you are sure that everything is working correctly.

And as @JimCarruthers said, if this was a generalized problem, there would have been tons of posts here on the subject - but there weren’t. So this looks like it is a problem specifically related to your installation and not necessarily even related to the OS version. Updating the OS on your machine may have simply done something like fixing a corrupted file which fixed the problem.

No, the previous versions have disappeared. My Mac takes care of cleaning things up after installing. But I should be able to intercept the installer, before it disappears. I will do that from now on. However, I maintain that it’s something that should be taken care of on Rhino’s side.

That sounds almost like I failed as a user. In fact, there were reports of Rhino crashing on Mac in the last few days. See: Rhino 6.21: Crashing over and over again
And in any case, so what if the problem is general or not. It’s still a problem. You may say the problem is in my computer, but fact is that one minute Rhino worked, and right after the update it didn’t. So I’d say it’s prefectly reasonable to seek the cause of the problem in the update, not in my computer.

Hi Igor,

As Mitch wrote, on the Mac, you can have several versions “installed” at the same time. I always have somewhere between 10 and 20 versions of Rhino 6 and Rhino 7 and 2 versions of Rhino 5 on my Mac.
Instead of dragging the Rhino icon on top of the the Applications icon when installing, just drag it onto the desktop.
-wim

Ok. Clear.