Selection filter on V7 WIP

Every time I click on either Edges, Faces, Vertices, the "Sub-objects"Selection Filter become unable?? Why?
Is there a setting to avoid this? Anyone please?

Hi Marcel -

I’m not sure what you mean with “unable”.
When you use one of the pre-canned selection filters, the sub-objects filter is automatically activated. That is the point with these 3 predefined filters. If you often need a different filter, you could create a macro to activate the combination that you require.
-wim

1 Like

I suspect he means that sub-selection became unavailable, or simply doesn’t work. At least that’s what happens to me all the time. Like, suddenly I can’t pick an edge of a surface, it just goes numb. Only the entire Brep is selected when trying to pick the edge. Even if it worked just a little while ago.

Same with Mesh (edges), and after the edges goes “numb” the mesh itself cannot be selected, only the vertices (but not edges) and… really puzzling.

I had this problem yesterday, and I saved the file just in case I would have a “broken file” to show to you, but no, after closing and reopening the file everything worked fine again so… no debug object to send to you guys.

Something is fishy with the selection. Happens every now and then, and then it goes away. I regret I can’t provide with a way to reproduce.

// Rolf

Rolf has explained it better than me.
Rolf, what you describe is exactly what happens with me.
Are we doing something wrong or is it a bug still to be worked out?
CHeers
Marcel

Hi Marcel, Rolf - I guess you are talking about the toolbar buttons in the subD Tools toolbar, correct?

When you run these, what is the state of the filters before hand - all enabled, or some other combination? And, does the filter control itself appear and reflect, in its settings, your choice of buttons?

-Pascal

No. I never use any buttons. I typically select (LMB), or sub-select (SHIFT+CTRL+LMB) using the mouse & Kbd as I’ve done for years. And suddenly it can stop functioning (doesn’t select, that is)

// Rolf

1 Like

Hi Rolf - so, the Filter panel does not come into play here for you, correct? @marcel1 - is this a filtering issue or a direct subobject selection (ctrl-shift select)? I misunderstood, I think, and gathered you were clicking on the new filtering buttons.

-Pascal

Correct. No panels involved for me, only Mouse and Keyboard.

// Rolf

Question: I notice that the behavior (when selection “stops working” as expected) is exactly the same behavior as when the Sub-objects checkbox is checked. Which leads me to wonder if there’s any keyboard combination which can (accidentally) trigger to tick this checkbox?

If so that would explain why sub-selections seems to “stop working” every now and then (whether it also explains why meshes can’t be selected, I don’t know)

// Rolf

Hi Pascal
Yes it reflect the choice of which tool I click on, whether Edge, Face, vertice.
I now worked it out. The selection filter follows the choice of one of the 3.
Your remark made me work out what I thought was wrong.
Thanks
Marcel

3 posts were split to a new topic: SubD in V6