Saving protocol in Rhino Beta on Mac is screwy

When I save a file on Rhino 9 Beta, this is what I do.

By holding the option key down, I perform a “save as” for my model. It saves it just fine. But then when I say quit, I get this…Save, or revert to saved or something like that. Why does it do that. I’ve saved the file and darn if it didn’t overwrite all the work I did with my previous save and all the work I had done in a hour…poof.

The saving conventions on Rhino 9 need to be looked at in my opinion.

My system info

Sys Info.txt (4.8 KB)

Hi @Jim_Girard ,

Apologies on the delay in replying here. SaveAs will not keep tracking changes in Rhino for that file. It will exist on it’s own in that saved state with the name you gave it. If you then used Save and chose the same name, you’d be overwriting the first SaveAs file. I think this may be what happened.

Out of curiosity, why did you use SaveAs versus Save? Personally, I use Save first and then SaveAs to make a newly named copy at that specific point if needed. I don’t believe there have been changes in how this works from v8. One thing I would mention though is that you have to use Export or ExportAll to save an older 3dm format or other file format than the v9 3dm on Mac.

Yes, I do. I hit save but sometimes I wanna save it somewhere else. That’s when I use save as so for example, if I’m using a file that’s in a folder of a certain project I use saved to save it to that project. However, I may say safe to desktop when I wanna do some temporary things on it that I don’t want to destroy my pristine file on if that makes sense.

I have just found that many times even when I do save as and I give it a new name it sits there and won’t quit. I have to do a force shut down.

Also, Bryon, I’m not understanding why my saved templates are not showing up as a choice any longer in Rhino nine beta. It’s obvious they’ve changed that look and feel but when I try to load my standard save templates, they’re not even there as a choice, am I missing something?

Thanks so much for getting back with me. You guys are great and I really appreciate your attention on this subject. As since it’s beta, I’m trying not to find bugs but when I find them, I sure try to let you folks know

Jim

This would be great to reproduce if it is file specific or to get the dump file that could be saved prior to the force quit. See Manually Creating a Memory Dump (DMP File) from an Unresponsive Rhino for Mac [McNeel Wiki]

Do you mean in the Splash Screen when Rhino starts up? This area is in flux right now but the templates should still show there and use the same folder they used to. If you don’t see them there after the next update, please let us know.

Correct I’ll take a Screenshot the next time when the splash Green comes up and Rhino nine beta on the MacBook Pro. It has all the other templates, but it’s not referencing the template file files I’ve created when I fire up Rhino eight they show up. I’ll take a screenshot when I start to splash screen and shoot it off to you.

Hi Brian,

Here are two screen captures of the splash screens upon start up of R8 and R9Beta. As you can see, the R9Beta screen gives me the standard startup unit choices AND my saved templates…however, the R9Beta splash screen shows the canned templates, but my saved templates are no where to be found, and I looked. Let me know what you think. Thanks for taking the time to look at this issue.


RH-98353 is fixed in Rhino 8 Service Release 36 Release Candidate

Thanks @Jim_Girard Filed this issue as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-98480

RH-98480 is fixed in Rhino BETA