Sauber C9 in Sony VHS Livery

Correct, all of this is just Cycles X on RH8. The secret sauce is @AlanMattano’s amazing texturing work that he did in Substance Painter.

7 Likes

I love it, one of my alltime favs, excellent work.

1 Like

Playing around with longer lens lengths, blacking out the background/environment and lighting up the headlights…

13 Likes

Looks amazing…

If you are running at LeMan, you should have the outside lights be yellow…

This is my favorite project on the forum atm…

at what point does a 3d printed model kit of this little legend become possible? :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks!!

Certainly possible - although much easier, and lower cost of entry would be to just make a decal sheet for the Tamiya model.

I’ll tweak the outside lights for Le Mans spec… :slight_smile:

ETA - wow yeah, looked it up, those Le Mans lights are YELLOW

Sing it with me now…look at the stars, look how they shine for you…

6 Likes

The remarkable surfaces and the SkyG car project are truly outstanding!

Well, SkyG utilizes solely Rhino Cycles and Rhino decals for texturing. It doesn’t involve Photoshop only Rhino.

Yes, For the wheel, I used the SkyG SubD model as a reference and constructed the surface entirely from scratch (using trim). This approach allows me to apply fillets, giving the radius a more refined, industrial design, high-quality aesthetic finish (compared with SubD).

Afterward, I convert the design into a mesh using the render mesh Rhino feature to prepare it for texturing. I utilize Substance Painter for the textures themselves.

5 Likes

I liked this project…then unliked it so I could like it again but with a harder click on the like button this time.

making popcorn and very much enjoying the show.

6 Likes

Whenever I get a free moment, I just play with this model in the background, let it render, see what happens. At the suggestion of @David53, I’ve deselected the gamma adjustment in the rendering tab:

I also set the Tone Mapping to Clamp - essentially off:

This does seem to yield a nice dynamic range, and no banding. On some of the previous renders, odd things were happening with the dark/black areas in the background, but this setup seems to solve that. I’m doing a little tweak in Final Pass:

I had to adjust my lights (all emissives in this case) and some of my materials for this setup, but once dialed in, it does indeed seem to be working very nicely. Many thanks to David!

9 Likes

The studio shots are great! I especially like the ones that picture both the car and the studio. Very satisfying.

2 Likes

Not only is it just prefection, but it has SO MUCH personality!

2 Likes

Absolutely stunning – love the way you’ve brought out the forms with clean geometry. The model has great proportions and the renders look incredible.

1 Like

Love these. Great feel with the lighting and mood in the environment.

2 Likes

will you be uploading any more videos in ur YouTube channel ???

2 Likes

Absolutely! Just juggling a high work load, a wedding, a baby on the way, and a house remodel all at the same time. :rofl:

6 Likes

Made the same car in rhino for Assetto Corsa in 2014 was a pleasure to work on, polygonal modeling tho. Made sprint and le mans version.
Your car looks great modeled in CAD!!!
A small tip, your car is more le mans package in terms of aero, and would usually have front wheel arch covers over the vents.

4 Likes

I hear ya - I just kinda liked the look - and the modeling challenge - of the vents. The car is slightly a franken-car, I definitely chose the bits and pieces I liked the most across multiple models. Your model looks VERY clean and well textured, well done.

1 Like