Sauber C9 in Sony VHS Livery

Yes, it would be a perfect combination of how to do it right (Sky) and how to do it wrong ( me) We are all about making things look better than they actually are in my business.

I wish I could build my models to the level of quality that yours are. Sadly we never have the time. This is the measure with micrometers, mark it with chalk, cut it with an ax meatball modeling .

3 Likes

Okay but in this case, you’re comparing work deliverables to a personal project. I would have been fired five times over on account of timeline alone if this was a work project!

Always great to see film industry people work on that stuff. I’ve been interested, software part of some of the Open Movies (from Blender), done some small live action / vfx with Blender for a friend. But would be nice to see how Real Pros do it.

Fair point. But Id bet that even your work deliverables are still going to be higher quality than mine. I always start trying to do clean single span surfaces with nice continuity but then the changes start and its cut and hack until its good enough to hand off to the fabricator.

1 Like

Have you given Cyberstrak a shot? The CV Modeling alone will offer you a massive step towards quickly and directly modeling with single span or near single span primary surfaces. Literally that one tool is worth the cost, imho.

2 Likes

Really, not much different than those who dont think they are pros. Really the biggest difference is understanding the design brief and what is required for filming purposes. Thats the real trick. Imagine designing a car or a house. Now all the walls or certain panels have to be “wild” ( removable for camera) or your just building one half because thats all camera sees. Its a lot of logistical planning involved . Right now Im trying to turn a space designed for one purpose be used for another completely different purpose.

I have not. I will have to investigate that. Thank you for the tip.

2 Likes

exactly, that’d be a treat to watch people go through. I quite that process, that journey from one state to the required one.

addendum: I suppose that is why I like the behind-the-scenes documentaries on films.
addendum2: Pretty much see how people come up with ways to fool the viewer and make it perfect for shooting the film.

1 Like

It definitely pushes you to be flexible. The other thing I like(and its not for everyone) is the variety. One day Im building a space ship the next a device or vehicle. Being able to bounce from one thing to another fits my short attention span. :rofl:

1 Like

Thinks I like to watch are like this and this playlist but those are for Blender. I’d like to see similar stuff done with Rhino (:

Finally found some time to get the car into the studio to render. Loading in all the gear now, just getting setup…

2 Likes

Just need to get a few more lights setup and wait for the sun to go down…

4 Likes

Looks fabulous! Looking forward to some professional shots. What camera are you using? :wink:

1 Like

I’m using the Renderite X9000. Very obscure camera…

8 Likes

gorgeous! Turn up the light a bit so we can see all those amazing details!

1 Like

There was a mixup with the lighting rental company, but they’re finally here…

11 Likes

I love everything about this project…

1 Like

Now your just showing off. :rofl:

Looks awesome.
May I ask what your rendering in?

2 Likes

I think this is Cycles only here.

2 Likes