Ryzen or Intel?

Hello,
Does anyone know if Ryzen 5 and 7 are good options for use with Raytraced? Or does the render ‘prefer’ Intel processors?

Hello - if fast Raytraced is the goal, put your money into the video card; Raytraced will use a Cuda video card if it is available and that will be faster than relying on the CPU.

-Pascal

1 Like

That said, a processor with as many cores as possible is also an acceptable approach.

I am currently working on bringing in the latest version of Cycles for Raytraced into Rhino - it should give Embree support, meaning you should get better Raytraced performance on the CPU. And the nice part of rendering on the CPU is that you generally have much more RAM to work with than on a GPU.

Further untested still, but CPU+GPU combo should work also better in the future.

8 Likes

Nice! Corona uses embree too. Intel develops it (embree) so I think it works only with intel CPU’s.

Embree works on AMD CPUs as well.

3 Likes

Thanks for this work here - are we close?

2 Likes

Given a choice between

AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X (base frequency 3.7 GHz, up to 4.8 GHz with Turbo Boost, 64 Mb de cache memory L3, 12 cores)

and

Intel® Core™ i9-11900K (base frequency 3.5 GHz, up to 5.3 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost technology, 16 Mb de cache memory L3, 8 cores)

– at the same price and with all other machine specs the same - which is to be preferred?

64Mb cache memory and 12 cores for the Ryzen vs. 16Mb and 8 cores for the Intel, but since Rhino is not primarily multithreaded…?

On paper the Intel probably has an advantage, in the real world you’re not going to notice a thing.

1 Like

Intel? I don’t have much culture on choosing a PC, but I’m asking because I’m about to buy it right now and the choice between a Ryzen or Intel for me is totally dark.

Sort of depends what you are considering. In reality, both provide excellent CPUs now. Do you have a ballpark spend? There are loads of good reviewers on YouTube that do give very good technical discussion.

Thank you for your contribution. I’ve seen dozens of videos and read dozens of posts, even here. The problem is only mine, I just can’t figure out what to choose (I mean not just the processor but everything else). Working with Rhino all day, and knowing that I have to spend 2500-3700 € I really have so many doubts. What I do know is that my Dell Inspirion 15 7510 is always at its maximum.

Errr. With that budget, it probably won’t really matter.You could probably chose either top-of-the-line processor if you are wanting a desktop. What will matter at that level is cooling.

In reality, I really doubt that either processor at the top end has that much of an edge over the other for CPU rendering. Intel tends to have the upper hand in single-threaded performance. But with Rhino, I really can’t see that mattering.

I have a 13700K at the moment, and I am very pleased with it. That said, the equivalent AMD is more efficient, and I think a bit easier to cool.

I think you could configure for a top end CPU, and still have plenty to get to a 4090, if you spend 3000 EUR.Or at least a 4080 (if you chose Team Green).

1 Like

I am quite happy with my Ryzen 9 5900X, paired with 128GB RAM and some good GPU juice it is great.

(All nice cooled with a custom loop built from EKWB components).

1 Like

I will consider it with a GTX 4080.