Raytraced: CPU or GPU?

Hello everyone, I need to upgrade my PC, but I would like to know if Raytraced uses only CPU or also GPU to render. Today I am using an i7 2600K with a GTX560ti, and looking at the Windows manager, only the CPU appears to be used. Does Raytraced not work with GPU?

The Raytraced display is based on Cycles.
If your current graphics card and driver support CUDA or OpenCL, then they will show here and will speed up the Raytraced display calculations:

I’m running an Intel Iris so there is no GPU option.

1 Like

But if you are thinking an Nvidia GPU (CUDA) or AMD GPU (OpenCL), for the first the RTX line should work fine, and the Vega for the second, probably Navi too (but I haven’t tested that, so not sure).

So yes, Raytraced is able to use the GPU if supported. If possible you could get two GPUs so one does the regular GUI/Desktop, and a dedicated one for GPU rendering.

Thank you in advance for your help. I believe the GTX560Ti does not support Cuda, the option appears empty in Rhino. As for the processor, AMD or Intel? Which model would be a good choice for Rhino and Raytraced?

The GTX 560 Ti supports CUDA, but the version it supports is too old. The card is based on the Fermi architecture, and for Raytraced that architecture was quite a while ago discontinued.

I don’t know what CPU would be best.

I have a Navi GPU with 8 gigs of HBM2 memory that works great in Rhino and everywhere else. I will however eventually upgrade to an Nvidia so that I can take advantage of other rendering engines that utilize their cuda processes.

Thanks for the information!

What about Quadro? They cost more, but would they be better options than a current GTX?

From 2104. The hip/sarcastic tone is annoying, and it’s intended for gamers. However, assuming the manufacturing /marketing methodology is still the same…?

I think it’s pretty much right on the mark. How does it affect Rhino users? McNeel asserts Geforce cards will work fine and I haven’t seen much to contradict that over the years I’ve been hanging around this forum. (Well, there was an era when there was a bit more whining about Geforces, but recently not so much.) I personally have gone for middle-of-the pack Quadros whenever I’ve felt the need to upgrade and have NEVER had any hardware or driver issues. All those happy Geforce users may think I’m wasting money, but heck, I’d probably just spend it on wine, women and song otherwise and I can’t get a note from my wife giving me permission to do that anyway.

1 Like

My vote is for an RTX card. I use the prior generation GTX 1080 ti and it has worked great for years. No need to spend extra for a Quadro card.

For my CPU I use an Intel 9980XE. It has 18 cores (36 threads) which I fully exploit in my Python/C++ scripts. It let’s me use 15-way parallel reading and parsing to import a point cloud 250 times faster than Rhino’s Import tool: a 100M point cloud can be imported in under 20 sec vs 1 hour with Rhino Import.

2 Likes

My understanding is that what you’re buying with the RTX isn’t used by Rhino and probably won’t be for several years. So the thing to look at is cores/$ when comparing with the GTX’s (which I believe are still available).

Yes get a GTX if you can. The performance difference of RTX vs GTX is small compared to the jump from your current setup.

Here are some tests I did here with the same file:

• Intel i5 6800 (CPU): 216 seconds to 150 steps in raytracing
  • Intel i7 2600K (CPU): 102 seconds to 150 steps
  • Intel i7 2600K + GTX1660OC (GPU): 10 seconds to 150 steps
  • AMD R7 3700X (CPU): 31 seconds to 150 steps
  • AMD R7 3700X (GPU) + RTX2060: 9 seconds to 150 steps

Now what left me in doubt: The base frequency of the i7 2600K and the R7 3700X is very similar, but even rendering only on the CPU, the R7 does the work in half the time of the i7.

My conclusion is that Raytraced uses R7 multi-core or that even configured to use CPU, Rhino somehow also uses GPU.

I wouldn’t conclude either of those things. The new Ryzens ARE faster clock-for-clock, the i72600 is pretty old there may be bottlenecks in the platform or from all the patches for memory security flaws, have you looked at the detailed performance monitoring to see what clock they’re boosting to?

Indeed, the R7 3700X is probably a much better fit. In the case of the AMD R7 3700 + RTX 2060 you have only the RTX in use.

I have here locally an upgraded Cycles version for Raytraced running, once I’ve cleaned up my upgrade work I’ll test also CPU+GPU, and see if there are any gains there. But in v6 there is only CPU or GPU rendering, not both at the same time. You can check this from the Tools > Options > Cycles options.

2 Likes

I have a 3800x cpu and a 2070s gpu, they feel about the same in speed. I’d love the option to use both.