RTX 2080 Cycles Rendering

Has anyone successfully used the Cycles engine to render in Rhino 6 Windows with the Nvidia RTX 2080 card? I select the card in the Cycles preferences, but nothing happens. I also have a Quadro M5000 that renders just fine, justing trying to get a boost from the RTX card (I recognize that accelerated Raytracing isn’t supported yet).

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #2

@sdjames support for the Turing architecture was added in the release candidate for 6.12. You’ll have to install the latest of that to use it.

Thanks for the news. I have updated and the RTX works with improved results. One curiosity is that when both the RTX and Quadro GPU’s are selected the rendering speed isn’t enhanced. Should I expect improved rendering with multiple GPU’s or does my bus speed limit the use of both?

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #4

Selecting two GPUs will result in less than twice the speed of the slower GPU.

Your Quadro 5000M has only 320 CUDA cores, compared to 2944 in the RTX 2080.

Since we are doing progressive refined rendering we unfortunately aren’t able to benefit from the work stealing mechanism that exists in Cycles. That works only for tiled rendering. In that case you would see a minor improvement of speed on top of the RTX, although it would be pretty minimal (1/10th-ish)