2 GPUs question

I currently have a Quadro 4000 and am considering a GTX1080 Ti to use primarily for Vray render GPU acceleration.

My question is: Can I switch the GPU Rhino uses for display to see which one works faster?

Also, if the 1080 is faster for display, can I switch back to the Quadro for display when I’m using the 1080 for rendering?

Thanks,
Andrew

You just have to plug the monitor in one or the other graphics card. Whichever runs the display, runs the viewport…

1 Like

Or if you have a monitor on both cards you should make that monitor primary display to make it run the viewport.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses guys. It’s so simple!

You might need to do something a bit tricky to install drivers for both quadro and gtx cards on the same machine… at least it used to the case, unless I am now hopelessly outdated.

Last time I tried running Rhino on a dual card setup the entire os became unstable.
It had a GTX 260 and a Quadro 4000 and I did NOT matter what card the two monitors were connected to.
You just set the dedicated card in the display drivers application settings.
But many summers has passed since then and I don’t know how it works these days.

Cheers.

thanks for the responses guys!

I had a response from the vray for Rhino forum at Chaosgroup and they said it should work but to contact Nvidia regarding the question of installing multiple drivers

Does anyone have a confident answer to using two GPUs now in 2021?

I have two 32” 4K monitors, both running on one MSI RTX 2070.

Would I benefit from putting another RTX 2070 in my machine to run each monitor off its own GPU?

And then theres the question of wether it will increase render speed. But my interest first and foremost is in modeling and dealing with heavier viewports on my layouts, etc.

Thx

Yes, as the one no longer has to drive both 4k monitors. Less memory to show desktop and windows for the one card.

I don’t know about render speed of ‘regular’ viewports. But Raytraced and Rhino Render in v7 will benefit if you set Cycles to use both GPUs as the combined render device. Not quite halving path tracing time, but speed is increased by 1.6-1.8x or so, maybe in some cases closer to 1.9x.

1 Like

Thanks so very much, @nathanletwory - really helps. I’m off to find a deal…

Follow-up for you, @nathanletwory - I happened to find a seemingly well-priced Zotac Gaming Geforce RTX 3060 Twin-Edge ($580 New) So:

1. Is having an RTX 2070 and an RTX 3060 ok together, or will I ultimately need to get another 3060?
  2. If I do need to match cards, do they need to be exact matches, or can one be an “MSI Super…” etc?

Thx again

No your cards don’t need to match at all, but the size of scenes you can render will be limited to the ability of your GPU with the least RAM.

So, together they would still be like having 2X 2070’s? And then if/when I buy another 3060+ they would work on that higher level, correct?

Correct.

I run currently an RTX A6000 paired with an RTX A5000. From Raytraced point of view that is like two RTX A5000’s, since the slower card is the determining factor. It means the RTX A6000 can kick back a bit.

Thanks so much @nathanletwory

Plus I don’t even know those GPUs! I’ll do some more research.