Rotating a view in paper or model space

I use rhino for 3d but I do also use as my 2d drafting layouts but I tend to project my 2d drawings out from the plan as the pic attached: But when it comes to paper space or even when working in model space I cant seem to work out if there is a way of rotating the view (without turning the model around), so I can display and work on each elevation the right way up. in auto cad I was able to do this by rotating the view

Hi @peterson_perg, I have the following 2 x command lines on Alias’s for quick rotation.
_RotateView Left
_RotateView Right
Each time you run these it turns the modelspace viewport or a layout detail viewport by the degrees set in the Rhino Options:
FILE - PROPERTIES - RHINO OPTIONS
Then look for the Rotate menu on the right hand side.
Increment in divisions of a circle: 60
which effectively makes a 6° turn every time you run the command.
Change to 72 if you want 5° increments. Or change to 4 if you want to turn 90° each time.
Note that this applies to modelspace Top view. Layout Space is normally Top view but same here.
Hope that helps… Michael VS

Hold the SHIFT + ALT hey and rotate the active detail.
Notice how the cursor hand changes near the border of the view/detail.
At the edges the rotation increments with x degrees for easy rotating to exactly 90 deg.

HTH
-Willem

1 Like

hi @mvyess this is exactly what I wanted thank you! Just one note I had to change the option to rotate around Tworld view for it to rotate how i wanted

Hi @Willem I didnt understand this is if I hold shift and alt I cant rotate? using gumball rotate?

thanks

Hold both keys and RMB than rotate the view ( or an active detail)

HTH
-Willem

Hi Ferg - the command version is TiltView - you can enter a specific angle.

-Pascal

2 Likes

BTW - for those who try this ALT-SHIFT RMB rotate of your viewport, and you get stuck in some weird angle, and you want to get back to your original non-angled view, just type “4” in the command line for your original 4-view viewport situation and it snaps back to the normal view.

I block my 2D views, then I can rotate at will and not alter the viewports. For a basic 4 sided room I block the plan then rotate it 4 times and project the elevation up from each block. That way everything is always right reading.

1 Like

Hi @peterson_perg can you please tell me what you wrote to make it rotate the world view?

Also, to @mvyess – I assume it is different on a MAC, but I don’t see where to change the increment to 4 in order to rotate 90º each time. Is this something you can write into the command macro for the alias?

Thank you!

Try:
_TiltView Angle 90

1 Like

thank you!

How about using CPlane command with either Object or 3Points option, then typing _Plan command to align your vport? Does that do the trick?

Thanks to “Jarek” on the forum

couldn’t link to his original post for some reason…

Thanks. that was super!