Rotate Families in 3d

Hi Scott, I’ve been trying to do your example with Elefront and there seems to be a limitation on the add Component (Location) in that it doesn’t work on Planes that aren’t parallel to the XY Plane. I can’t orient my created Family Component at an angle.

Error:

1. :heavy_check_mark: Can’t rotate element into this position. {759412}

Is there a workaround for this? Also, can Revit deal with non uniform scaling of Families? Because I have a roofing model full of Instanced/Blocked Panels which are non uniformly scaled and I would like to keep them Instanced in Revit. Thank you.

Two options:

1. Rotated the Family correctly in space in Rhino and just insert it into Revit at a suitable XY location.
  2. Or this method of rotation after: Rotating a Family After Placing

Hi Scott, I’ve checked out what you recommended and I cant seem to solve this problem. I don’t know how to add a “Work Plane-Based” Parameter to my Custom Family Component. I don’t know what I’m missing.

Welcome to the fun and games of Revit Families. By default a family is Always Vertical and not Work Plane-Based in the Family Parameters:

If creating a Family on the fly, then the correct parameter needs to be set first. Take note that it is the Family definition that contains this information.

4 Likes